944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

How do I find an A/C leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 04:04 PM
poindex30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How do I find an A/C leak?

I just recharged my A/C system with an R134a conversion kit from Auto Zone. I didn't do anything other than refill the system from the low pressure port. I did this a couple of days ago. Now when I stop the car after running the A/C a small amount of white smoke (freon) comes from the front bumper area. I guess I have a leak but I don't know how to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mickey
Old 06-24-2003, 08:07 PM
944Play
Pro

Any professional A/C tech ought to have a Freon sniffer. Apparently they are very sensitive and can detect even tiny leaks. GL!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:36 PM
RussRPJ
Advanced

I converted and charged up back in mid-May, and my refrigerant is now gone. So, I've got a leak too. Didn't see anything obvious from the top, so I popped the oil pan and took a look underneath last weekend. There is a 8 inch section of original rubber connected to the AC that was slightly moist, and looked a little nicked and striated. After 18 years, that's not unusual. In tracing the lines, I don't see anything remarkable under there, so I'm going to replace that section of rubber this weekend and fill er up again with R134a.

I'm not entirely sure about the "freon sniffer", but I think that only works for the R12 chemistry. Most brands of the R134 have a UV (blacklite) dye in it, so that you can see the source of a leak under the UV lamp. So, read the can and make sure it has this dye in it. Then you can use any black lite and trace the leak yourself. Soon as I change the batteries in mine, I'm going to pop the pan again and take a look at the engine under UV.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can use an ultra violet dye to find leaks. You can get the dye and a UV source from Pep Boys.

As a side note, did you actually convert the system to R-134, or did you add R-134 to a system that still had some R-12 in it?
Old 06-25-2003, 02:37 PM
poindex30
Racer

I just added R134a to my system. I don't know much (anything) about A/C systems but I figured that if there was no cold air coming through the vents there must not be any R12 left so why pay to have someone purge the system.

Russ,

What do you mean by "popped the oil pan"? Did you take off the oil pan to see A/C components? Do you know of a good online source of photos where I could see the A/C components? My air was very cold on Sunday when I put in the freon. Yesterday it was slightly cool. I have a huge leak.

Thanks,

Mickey
Old 06-25-2003, 08:02 PM
RussRPJ
Advanced

Mickey;
Yes, I crawled underneath and took the oil pan off. You can see a great deal more of the engine from underneath, including most of the hoses and pipes to the AC. Easier to trace as well. I fully charged my system only 6 weeks ago, and it was empty last week, so I've got a bad one too. Going back under with a UV light this weekend to look around for any other leaks.

Don't know of an online source of photos for this. I looked thru the 944 Haynes manual for some of this, but be carefull if you go that way. They mix the pictures and specs of the older 944s with the newer in the same book without telling you!
Old 06-26-2003, 06:18 AM
944Play
Pro

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RussRPJ:
<strong>I'm not entirely sure about the "freon sniffer", but I think that only works for the R12 chemistry.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I did a tiny bit of research on the subject of "refrigerant leak detectors" -- even hand-held ones have sensitivities measured in grams per year! They detect CFCs (R12) and HFCs (R134a).

Here's one such instrument:
<a href="http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.1032/id.7/subID.93/qx/default.htm" target="_blank">http://www.professionalequipment.com/xq/ASP/ProductID.1032/id.7/subID.93/qx/default.htm </a>
Old 06-26-2003, 02:11 PM
RussRPJ
Advanced

OK, I stand corrected.

Went under last night with a UV, nothing. Since the compressor still kicks in, I'm thinking is not the AC after all. My next guess is that pesky plastic clip on the vent motor has broken off. When I turn the AC on, air straight from hell blows through that thing! So, looking for that clip now. Its 100F today, so no way am I driving without an AC!

Quick Reply: How do I find an A/C leak?