'84 944 - leak at attachment of glass to aluminum rear glass

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 02:35 PM
bardot
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post '84 944 - leak at attachment of glass to aluminum rear glass

Hello All:
I should qualify my subject - with "I think" - what a drag to not really be sure where the water is getting in. End up with a puddle behind the passenger seat. Think water is penetrating around area at right upper of rear glass hatch - thing is it then follows ('I think') inside the roof trim and down the inside of the post (passenger side) til it rests - behind passenger seat. Someone mentioned having one of the glass replacement shops re-seal the hatch glass to the metal frame. Is that do-able? What about picking up a replacement hatch /? Mine has (working) wiper - and hatch release works just fine. But the creaking -(not to mention the water) makes me think the sealing around the glass is decaying. Already had seals around sunroof and rear hatch replaced at Porsche dealer.
\
Thoughts on this kind of problem?

Most everything runs great - and car still very strong and pleasure to drive.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Barry Levy
bardot861@yahoo.com
Old 11-22-2002, 09:42 AM
ganfam
6th Gear

Same problem here on my 83. Just had the rear seal replaced. Havent had any rain since to check to see if it works. Its still damp in the floor from the last rain. Had the sunroof seals done about 5 years ago. They're still like new. My mechanic said to check the sunroof drains. Remove the seals and carefully peel away the headliner material just enough to check to see if the rubber drain lines are still attached. to the drain holes in the four corners. Pour a cup of water in the sunroof tray to see if it leaks. He also mentioned that rain can seep thru the rear quarter windows rubber seal. But too much water comes thru mine to think that much water gets thru there. It's a pain and its ruining the carpet. Good luck
Old 11-22-2002, 12:57 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, before you address the hatch check the sunroof drains as noted. The other far out possibility is a leaking battery tray. The water leaks in and sloshes under the carpet back behind the passenger seat. But you should notice the front carpet being wet.

And check the rear quarter window and door seals. Just run a hose over them for awhile and see what happens.

Getting a new rear hatch would cost a small fortune and a used rear hatch would be rolling the dice as that may be ready to let loose in the near future.

So a reseal is the way to go. And if you do this make sure your gas struts are fairly worn out, not new. Many, myself included, are convinced the forces of new struts really speeds up the delamination process. Some guys have gone so far as de-pressurizing the struts and drilling a small hole in the strut to insert a nail when you want to hold the hatch up.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:34 PM
bardot
AutoX

[quote]Originally posted by IceShark:
<strong>Yes, before you address the hatch check the sunroof drains as noted. The other far out possibility is a leaking battery tray. The water leaks in and sloshes under the carpet back behind the passenger seat. But you should notice the front carpet being wet.

And check the rear quarter window and door seals. Just run a hose over them for awhile and see what happens.

Getting a new rear hatch would cost a small fortune and a used rear hatch would be rolling the dice as that may be ready to let loose in the near future.

So a reseal is the way to go. And if you do this make sure your gas struts are fairly worn out, not new. Many, myself included, are convinced the forces of new struts really speeds up the delamination process. Some guys have gone so far as de-pressurizing the struts and drilling a small hole in the strut to insert a nail when you want to hold the hatch up. </strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 12-15-2002, 09:11 AM
pel930
6th Gear

go to pelican parts.com 944 tech articles there is a detailed article on fixing this problem.

Quick Reply: '84 944 - leak at attachment of glass to aluminum rear glass