944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

dash and leather damage

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 11:23 PM
trip hazard
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face dash and leather damage

It is unfortunate that while I was away for four months my 944 sat in the blistering Texas summer heat ALL DAY LONG. As a result of this, my dash has some serious cracks, and the leather that slopes down toward the floorboard got seriously scorched along the top (where the leather part meets the strip that divides the dash and the slope-thing.) I looks horrendous, and I've been putting protectant on it regularly, but it seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. Just that bit more scorched every day. And it doesn't help that my car is parked out in the sun for the six hours of the day that I'm working. I haven't found one of those sunshields that will fit, either.
Where/what can I get/do to repair the sun damage, both the cracks in the dash and the burns on the leather? And how can I keep it protected from the harsh sunrays? Is ArmorAll a good start?

- ALSO -

The lower part of my front end has suffered some nasty cracks and chips in the fiberglass. When I pushed my car up onto a trailer to haul it to Autobahn Porsche in Fort Worth to have a new clutch installed, a hefty-sized chunk of fiberglass chipped off. It's about thirty inches long and about four inches high, and it came from right beneath the lowermost light on the driver's side. How/where can I go about getting it worked together? My dad says there are kits sold that are for fixing that sort of thing yourself, but I'm afraid I would mess it up pretty bad.... Any suggestions?

DJ Trip Hazard
Old 08-26-2002, 12:00 AM
icat
Race Car

Sun shade for the windshield will only help so much. If the car is going to be outside all day, then your going to need to get a car cover. Most, if not all, come with a lock to keep the cover on the car (goes under the middle and locks to the other side) and elastic front and rear to make removal and installation a breeze. Leave the window cracked every so slightly to allow the escape of the built up heat.

I don't like Armor-All products because of the gloss. However, I'm not sure anything can protect against Texas heat except for a garage. Might try using a towel to cover the dash until you find a car cover.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:30 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Keith hit a lot of this, but:

Don't use armor-all. From what I've heard, you shouldn't use any product that contains silicon as it will cause the surface to dry out further.
I use Lexol Products (Vinylex, etc.) It's expensive, but it seems to be what the concours guys use as well.

Like Keith said, a cover is the way to go... but you do need to take immediate action. It's not going to get any better. You have to cover the interior (and eventually the exterior...) with SOMETHING to prevent stuff like that from happening.

Your dash issue is another matter... you can have the thing refurbished ($$$) get a new one (much, much more $$$ - I've heard well over $600) or get a molded cover (or carpet cover, if that's your thing.) In your heat, the cover is going to warp very quickly. Until you can hack taking care of the problem effectively (re-furbished or new dash) then cover the thing.

As for your lower valence (I think this is what you're talking about...) I would call up a junk yard and see if they can pull one off in your color. Then you can simply swap out the old w/ the new and avoid messing with such a damanged piece. It'll cost a bit - don't get me wrong, but it's probably better in the long run b/c it sounds like you have some significant damage there.

Good Luck.

Micah
Old 09-09-2002, 05:39 PM
Robert D
Three Wheelin'

I have a 944S which has been in the Texas sun since I bought it (can't park the waverunners outside). To keep the dash from cracking I have a black carpet cover and I regularly put either 303 Protectant (Performance Products) or a product called Tire/Wet Protectant (Autozone).
I also purchased a winshield visor from Performance Products which fits the 944 window perfectly and helps a lot (black leather in 100 degree heat stinks until the A/C kicks in). As for a car cover, I use the original silver cover with the Porsche logo in front (heard it isn't meant for outdoors but it is holding up well) and a lock. You will probably need to wax the car every few months even with a cover.
For your front valence, since they all warp once installed on the car (the curve that forms in the fender just in front of the front wheels). I have heard it is difficult to remove one from a parted out car and install it on another and have it look right. I replaced mine with a brand new one (yes they are pricey, I paid almost 1k) and it looks great. Another alternative would be to look for an aftermarket piece.
-Robert D.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider tinting your windows. If you don;t like the look, you can get window tint that is so light it looks clear. Tint will provide UV protection for your interior.

Quick Reply: dash and leather damage