Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 08:23 AM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Instrument cluster modification

Did an interesting swap while changing out the speedometer cable on our early 944. I rerouted the cable so that I could switch the positions of the speedo and tach. I prefer to drive by the tach anyway as the speedo is so inaccurate.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by Der Cupmeister:
<strong>Did an interesting swap while changing out the speedometer cable on our early 944. I rerouted the cable so that I could switch the positions of the speedo and tach. I prefer to drive by the tach anyway as the speedo is so inaccurate.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jim, I'm surprised by two things here....

1) That the factory didn't do this like the did with the 911. I remember reading a quote from Doc Porsche about the fact that it's a sports car and that as such, the most important gauge should be big and in the center of the instument cluster.

2) More people don't do this.

I would if I had a road 944, but for my race car it will have a factory tach (getting a cool new gauge face) and 4 VDO 52mm gauges in a custom cluster.

Got any photos?
Old 08-01-2002, 12:35 PM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How difficult was the swap? I've been wanting to do that from the moment I got the car and since I've had it on the track I've regarded it as imperative (my hand always obsured the tach right when I wanted to check it).

Stef
Old 08-01-2002, 12:52 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by stefang:
<strong>How difficult was the swap? I've been wanting to do that from the moment I got the car and since I've had it on the track I've regarded it as imperative (my hand always obsured the tach right when I wanted to check it).

Stef</strong><hr></blockquote>

The hardest part is remomving the cluster. The speedo cable can be a bit of a pain (figuratively and literally) to reach. I also had to remove the plastic surrounding the steering column, the steering column stalks, and the steering wheel. Otherwise it's just two screws and it's out.

Swapping them is just as simple as popping them out and switching places.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:29 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I was able to do the swap by reaching up under the dash and pushing the fuel/temp gauge forward to get it out and then reaching through the holes to do the work, the hardest part is rerouting the cable. Or for me anyway.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster modification