944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Discovering my new 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:42 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Discovering my new 944S2

As I am just starting to "date" my new girl, lets call her,"Red", I have been presented little challenges while getting to know her. I have been distressed over the missing wheel lock key, and ignored advise to chisel off the wheel locks, find a locksmith, etc. I was determined to find a way to keep the original wheel locks on this car as it is a 16,000 mile one-in-miilion find for me. Searching through the unmolested spare tire, toolbag, sunroof bag wrapped in plastic, and air compressor..I notice a small piece of brown duct tape on the inner wall...the little wheel lock key was underneath that peice of tape! I don't know what it is about these damned cars, but everyday is another chuckle or smile. Porsche...There is no substitute!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Porsche Fan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default congrats!

congratulations on your new "time capsule" S2!!!!

I've had a Guards Red/black 1990 S2 in the past with 33,000 miles on it.

Just sold my Guards Red/black 1989 S2 with 20,000 original miles.

As an avid collector of these rare Porsches, I'm currently down to just one S2:

1989 S2 in Satin Black Metallic with a full black leather interior.

IMHO, the S2 is one of the best driving sports cars from the era
Old 04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Yes, a great driver for sure!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM
97turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the "time capsule" s2 that was advertised here a couple of weeks ago? I was looking at the pictures of that car and was amazed at it's condition. It looks like you've got a keeper. Are you going to drive her or keep her as a garage queen? Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

If you want to be detail oriented:

The wheel locks come with little trim covers for when they are on the wheels to hide/keep the key slot clean. They can still be bought new.

I never drove with them on, I would guess they might fall off with aggressive driving. I had three of 4 when I bought my '89 so I had to get another.

If you bought the time capsule car it was gorgeous. I'd suggest getting the belts/rollers/seals etc. changed due to age even though they said they looked good upon inspection, and I would have the exterior cleaned down and then professionally detailed. The guards on that car still has so much shine it has a lot of potential. I also loved the interior and the Reno 2 w/ hi-fi audio.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 AM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Default 944S2

Thanks, flat12, I had cleaned the stone guards up, and 3 of 4 are as new now. The 4th will be replaced.
The Reno was inop. I have it in the box now, but replaced it with a Dearborn from Southwest Stereo, and kept the EQ.
Wheel locks are cleaned, have all the caps, but not so fast to put them back on.
Roof gears are stripped, already have new ones, rear wiper cover missing so I ordered a new one.
The under carriage has cobwebs but NO corrosion, I just cleaned off some excessive cosmoline and factory undercoating.
I have a torn inner axle boot, already ordered a new set. So far, the car just needs to be driven, as it seems to improve as I drive it.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 AM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Thanks, Porsche Fan, I love the S2 myself. It has a lot of pep and drives smooth, not to mention great gas mileage!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:11 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by BradS(IN)
Thanks, flat12, I had cleaned the stone guards up, and 3 of 4 are as new now. The 4th will be replaced.
The Reno was inop. I have it in the box now, but replaced it with a Dearborn from Southwest Stereo, and kept the EQ.
Wheel locks are cleaned, have all the caps, but not so fast to put them back on.
Roof gears are stripped, already have new ones, rear wiper cover missing so I ordered a new one.
The under carriage has cobwebs but NO corrosion, I just cleaned off some excessive cosmoline and factory undercoating.
I have a torn inner axle boot, already ordered a new set. So far, the car just needs to be driven, as it seems to improve as I drive it.
Bummer on the Reno2...any idea what was wrong with it? Just dead and no power? I don't see that Radio much, it's a great "late" look unit, I run an original Reno SQR46 with the factory BEA-80 equalizer, I think that's what you have, right?

Go with Genuine Stone guards again. I did mine all the way around and patiently waited for them to come in from Germany because they are not always stocked (ordered through Sunset). Didn't take too long and they look great.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Any tips on technique removing the old stone guards? I was planning on using a adhesive remover and a lot of picking and pulling.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

I have tried the adhesive remover route. Most of those stone chip guards are very thick so dissolving it with any kind of solvent is easier said than done. I still have three to remove so i'd like to know who might have a trick out there. My next attempt is to apply a heat gun to it and use a putty knife scraper.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

[QUOTE=flat12boxer;9467339]Bummer on the Reno2...any idea what was wrong with it? Just dead and no power? I don't see that Radio much, it's a great "late" look unit, I run an original Reno SQR46 with the factory BEA-80 equalizer, I think that's what you have, right?

Yep. The Reno was just frozen, it had power, but 4 dashed appeared in the display window, and no sound or anything. I could her the amp pop when i turned it on, but that was it. I never tried entering the factory code, however.

The Dearborn looks great, I think I had the same radio in my '87 944. I still haven't fixed the speaker issue; I have sound on the left but nothing on the right. If I turn the balance to the far right, no sound.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by BradS(IN)
Any tips on technique removing the old stone guards? I was planning on using a adhesive remover and a lot of picking and pulling.
Originally Posted by FIA-F1
I have tried the adhesive remover route. Most of those stone chip guards are very thick so dissolving it with any kind of solvent is easier said than done. I still have three to remove so i'd like to know who might have a trick out there. My next attempt is to apply a heat gun to it and use a putty knife scraper.
If they are not cracked into little squares, it will be easier to remove them. To both of you, I would say maybe a heat gun on a lower setting, held at a distance and maybe use one of the plastic/semi flexible putty knifes with a slanted edge to get under it gently? I wouldn't want to take a metal one near the paint. Then you can grab the lifted end with something once you get about two inches and gently pull while putting a little heat on the exposed area between the body and sticky side, and then clean up any leftover sticky with something mild like Goo Gone (not Goof Off) afterwards. Just an idea, don't hold me to it. I don't deal with the shop that did mine originally, otherwise I would ask them. I would like to think good shops do them fairly often and it can't be that hard.

[quote=BradS(IN);9468301]
Originally Posted by flat12boxer
Bummer on the Reno2...any idea what was wrong with it? Just dead and no power? I don't see that Radio much, it's a great "late" look unit, I run an original Reno SQR46 with the factory BEA-80 equalizer, I think that's what you have, right?

Yep. The Reno was just frozen, it had power, but 4 dashed appeared in the display window, and no sound or anything. I could her the amp pop when i turned it on, but that was it. I never tried entering the factory code, however.

The Dearborn looks great, I think I had the same radio in my '87 944. I still haven't fixed the speaker issue; I have sound on the left but nothing on the right. If I turn the balance to the far right, no sound.
Wow, I didn't know the Reno2 needed a code. Give it a try, since you're going to be messing with the radio anyways. Could you post a pic of the front of it when you get a chance? I'd love to see up close what the updated control layout looks like.

When you say no sound on one side do you mean you don't get any sound front or rear?

For the "dead" speaker(s), I would check the connections at the speaker and/or crossover and then at the amp. Then see where that gets you. Lastly you could also try swapping a speaker or two from one side to the other, if the problem is with the "fronts", if it is both, you'd be looking at removing the Hi-Fi rear grille to "take a general look" and possibly be pulling the panel if you can't work through the rear speaker hole (not sure, I never took the interior out of a car w/ the 10-speaker, only the four speaker setup, but I do have a later car like yours). If those get you nowhere, it may be the radio.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations! From all that I know of it you got one of the best examples left! I agree with flat12boxer though and would do a complete belt job sooner rather than later. Did you drive it back up or ship it? As far as the radio goes, I believe that the dashed lines means that it is expecting you to put the code in. At least that is how my old VW radio (Clarion) worked. Also, on the rear 10 speaker setup the grills are screwed on from behind the panel - you have to pull the panel to take the grill cover off. Again, congrats on your 1:1,000,000 and enjoy!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, and for removing the stone guards... If they are not cracked in a million pieces, this seems to be the tool of choice: http://www.eastwood.com/vinyl-eraser-and-arbor.html
Also, you might want to start planning on doing the clutch... The rubber-centered disk does not age well... Don't get me wrong - I think you got one of the best out there! But, it will need a few things...
Again, best wishes!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:31 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Yep, thought about that clutch. I will see how it goes over the next few miles. The belts and water pump were done in '05, or 1,000 miles ago, a local Tech advised me not to mess with them, but I'm still considering replacing them anyway. Thanks for the wishes!

Quick Reply: Discovering my new 944S2