Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Subs and Amp=Dead Alternator... Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM
hahaha251251
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs and Amp=Dead Alternator... Options?

So I have 2 10" subs and an 800w amp in the back of my '84 944 na, and I think they just killed the alternator. it could be a short to ground from the battery, but i doubt it. so here's my questions:
1.) will upgrading to the later year alternator (115am as opposed to the 90 amp I have now) solve the problem? is that enough extra amperage to make up for 800w? if not, and I go the highest bolt-on 140w bosche amp, will that be enough?
2.) I have thought about getting an external battery and putting it in one of the "cubby holes" in the back to run the amp by itself. NOT connecting it to the car in series, but an isolated circuit. I would be willing to charge this battery to maintain the amp. *If this is a plausible option, how long would just an amp run off of a standard battery?*
3.) I want to leave the subs, even if I have to remove the amp. Has anyone done this? What is the dimming like in the headlights while driving/how much extra power would the subs take? Is it even worth keeping them?
4.) Are there any options that I am overlooking that dont require fabricating new mounts for a giant alternator, or other high maintenance options? (Thought about getting a high quality audio battery but this doesnt solve the overdraw issue of the amp, just if I take the amp out it will make the subs last longer)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Subs and Amp=Dead Alternator... Options?