Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

SOLVED 944S Cranks but doesnt fire up

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

pin 5 burned because it was drawing too much current got hot and burned. it could be a short somewhere or could have been caused by an electrical surge or re-connecting the battery the wrong way round by accident.

You should start a new thread about a different car and different problem or it will be confusing.

You still have not answered my previous questions I asked 6x days ago
They may seem to you or your helper that they are not relevant but if you do not answer them I will be unable to help you any further with this problem I'm afraid.

There are lots of other owners that I am assisting with their cars who answer promptly and its not reasonable to take time from them when you cannot be bothered to reply for a week.

You must decide who you wish to help you with your problem and then stick to them .
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 AM
mhariush
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi peanut
I tried the three way jump, but I need to redo it with proper wires or one solid copper wire because I didn't get the pump running like i had previously and I believe that is because the jimpers I have are not good, therefore I couldn't properly answer your questions, but I will.
I'll start a new thread for the other car, but I wanted to. Run this by you and I figured the easiest way was to ask it in this thread.

And to follow up on that, do you think there's any possibility that pin 5 could have burned out because of overcharge from the corroded battery ground?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

sorry i have no intention of discussing an unrelated problem on a different car on this thread .

You've had 6x days to make up a simple cable with spade connectors on it and not managed it.
I think you are wasting my time . If you want me to continue helping you I will need a reply to each of the 5x tests I suggested by the end of today or I'm afraid I will have to call it a day..
Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 AM
mhariush
Racer

So had some time to look at the car again this weekend and to answer the 5 questions you had:

1. I redid the test with a brand new DME Relay, opened it up and closed the circuits, fuel pump did not start and the car did not start. BUT the fuel pump did run once when connecting 87b to 30, but not as of lately.
2. The fuel pump fuse is good
3. The ground to the fuel pump is good and clear.
4. The fuel pump is working, got it running when initiating the correct plug on the DME/ECU/Computer plug.
5. I have not found any breaks, but given that the pump did run when initiating the correct pin on the Computer plug all wires from there on would be intact, correct?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mhariush
So had some time to look at the car again this weekend and to answer the 5 questions you had:

1. I redid the test with a brand new DME Relay, opened it up and closed the circuits, fuel pump did not start and the car did not start. BUT the fuel pump did run once when connecting 87b to 30, but not as of lately.
2. The fuel pump fuse is good
3. The ground to the fuel pump is good and clear.
4. The fuel pump is working, got it running when initiating the correct plug on the DME/ECU/Computer plug.
5. I have not found any breaks, but given that the pump did run when initiating the correct pin on the Computer plug all wires from there on would be intact, correct?

Thanks
mhariush
I'm afraid this is not going to work.

I cannot continue advising you at the rate of one message exchange every week when you get around to replying.
You're answers make it perfectly clear to me that you are still being advised by that other idiot with the ocilloscope and he has already turned down my offer of help.
You have not answered my questions at all ! you have supplied his answers which are complete twaddle.

1. I did not ask you to fit a new DME relay did I ? you cannot even follow a simple instruction. The problem is nothing to do with your DME relay. I asked you if you had soldered spade connectors on your bypass cable to get a good connection?

4 . The fuel pump is working
????....... but the fuel pump isn't working is it !
It may have worked at some time in the past but that is not what we are discussing is it. We are discussing the possibility that it may have jammed due to lack of use /poor connection /dirt in the fuel etc .
Did you try getting someone to hit it whilst cranking the engine like I asked ?

5. I have not found any breaks, but given that the pump did run when initiating the correct pin on the Computer plug all wires from there on would be intact, correct? No not correct. I was discussing the connections BEFORE the ECU The problem lies BEFORE the ECU not after it .

mhariush I offered to help you get your car started and running but I can only do that if you work with me and follow my instructions to the letter ...even if you do not understand why !

I can see that you are still being assisted by your friend who clearly hasn't a clue what he is doing and he is giving you different information and advice to mine.
Therefore i have decided regretfully that you have made it impossible for me to continue to assist you sorry.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:18 PM
mhariush
Racer

To close up this forum.
I ended up towing it to a shop, G-Man Automotive in Culver City. He diagnosed it and got it running.

The Ignition Module was dead, I had tried with a new module but never heat sinked it to the fender so it didnt get grounded and thus didnt work. Also he said the white relay (i only spoke to him on the phone so not sure which relay he refers to) was also dead.

So now the car runs! Lesson learned, always pull and install Ingition Module with heat sink even if the old one might still be good (which it wasn't in this case).

And G-Man Automotive on Overland is highly recommended.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

really glad your garage got the car running.

I'd like to suggest that the lesson that should be learnt from this is not to fiddle with things you don't understand and don't let your friends meddle with your things they don't understand either .:
Old 08-26-2016, 05:54 AM
wessideg
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Very courteous folks here. Sometimes it is better to just SLOWLY walk AWAY.

Last edited by wessideg; 08-26-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:14 AM
wessideg
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peanut
really glad your garage got the car running.

I'd like to suggest that the lesson that should be learnt from this is not to fiddle with things you don't understand and don't let your friends meddle with your things they don't understand either .:
Or you could take the 'fiddling' to be a learning experience. Peanut, not everyone works the same way as you, and that's perfectly fine. Just roll with it!
Wes
The following users liked this post:
andrewmccrae (06-08-2021)
Old 08-26-2016, 01:37 PM
mhariush
Racer

Yes, the crowd here can be very... interesting. So I spend most of my time on the Pelican Parts forum. So much friendlier.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Salty guys from the UK seems to just be a thing. :\

Quick Reply: SOLVED 944S Cranks but doesnt fire up