944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

stripped cam housing threads

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 PM
bp944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped cam housing threads

I stripped the thread inside the cylinder head. The threads that hold the cam housing to the cylinder block. I am planning on swapping this engine out for a ls1 probably next year. That in mind, can I still have a half decent seal without this bolt? Can I just tap it? I'd rather not have to helicoil it. Has anyone tried running it without a bolt and has actual proof it won't work. I want this car to run for a year. I've already put too much money into this cheap engine to be work more money. It was an $800 944 so its not a beautiful engine.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:33 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow stripped the threads... must've overtorqued?
Anyway doesn't matter..

You are talking about the Allen head bolts inside the cam tower?right?

Will it leak? Quite possibly..
Will the car run like that for a year? Most likely .. only one way to find out! Put it back together and watch it for the first week or two.
Cam towers will usually leak at the outside bolts near the headers.. if those bolts are still good the leak shouldn't be too bad.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:56 PM
bp944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't over torque it at all, I was still tightening it by hand with a small allen wrench. I think it may have stripped taking the bolt out last week. Turns out I could fit a long bolt inside. The longer bolt managed to catch the threads at the bottom. It was 5mm longer so it bottomed out before it tightened so I added a washer and it fit perfectly.

Any ideas on a stripped intake manifold brace thread. (I'm on a roll with stripping threads)

Quick Reply: stripped cam housing threads