944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

First time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 AM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer

Alright, So i've taken a look around on the first page and found some interesting things. I've been looking for some time now for a 944 that someone would be willing to trade my Mercedes or integra for. Well i found a guy in a city thats about two hours from here. The body looks great, but i haven't found out much about it except it runs great and has about 120k on the motor. i plan on going up there and looking at it. Although, he does claim to say that it needs a new shift linkage, I did stumble upon a post about someone saying its a possibility to replace the transmission. That's not too much what i want.

Well here's the thing, he said he liked my Mercedes, and he'd be willing to trade. I have a 1988 mercedes 300e, with about 140-150k miles on it(odo went out). He said if we where to trade i would have to tow it, and i told him i'd get back to him about it. I'm fine with the towing and all the work. I'm currently 18, a student in college living with my mother, I own a extra car and have enough tools that i accumulated with my own money to do a motor swap/rebuild. This summer i actually plan on leaving the bbq shop i'm at now and work at a shop my best friend and my previous employer worked at. The fellow specializes in all eurpoean cars and mazda rx-7s. What's funny is that he often works on 944s and W124 series Mercedes and his favorite car is the rx7, I plan on getting a 944 and a rx7 this summer. The thing is, i'm curious to see if this is something i should do. Personally i think its alright if it is just a shift linkage, but then again i could be wrong. I do know, that german engineering is one strange and unique thing and i need to be prepared for everything. If you would be so kind to let me know.

Thanks,
Harrison.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:17 AM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

any ideas?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:24 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really sure what your asking... It seems hard to believe that the shift linkage is broken to the point it can't be driven... unless he is referring to something inside the transmission...

The Shifter connects to a Rod which goes back to the top of the Tranny.

http://www.944online.com/images/diag...terdiagram.gif
Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

Yeah, i've taken a look at that exact diagram.
I was just seeing if ya'll could give me some advice on if i should do it and what to keep an eye out for. I'll be taking my drivable Mercedes and trading it for my favorite car, that's not drivable because of the "shift linkage".
When I think of the shift linkage being disconnect or broken i immediately think of my integra. Which has just a bar from the shifter to the transmisson, and it has come out on me while driving. So it seems to be a simple fix, then i mentioned german engineering is unique and can be very different. Maybe a question as is it possible or common enough that it could be something else?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 PM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

So I went and checked it out. Not what i expected, the paint is faded and there are a couple nick nacks that need to be fixed. I told him trading my mercedes would give me the shorter end of the stick. Yet, he is fine with trading my integra. Which i think is a good deal. I'll be looking forward to restoring this one.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
DrIftAgious
Intermediate

could i have this thread moved? to the not technical section.

Quick Reply: First time buyer