Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

A little smoke coming from engine. how bad is this? what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 PM
zmarchet
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little smoke coming from engine. how bad is this? what could it be?

Hey guys, I just changed the oil a few weeks ago and went to mobil 1 10W-30 full synthetic. I am not sure what was being used before. When I was driving the car today I got it to operating temp and opened up the hood to see just a little intermitant smoke coming from somewhere under the P or the O on in Porsche on the engine. It was just once in a while but i am wondering if this is a problem. Sitting in the car it would be on the right side of the engine. There is definitely no oil in the antifreeze and I am fairly certain there isnt any antifree in the oil. cant be 100% certain though. I also feel like I have some possible overheating problems. I am not gonna worry about those until I know if the water pump is good. So...

1) Is this smoke a really bad thing? What could it be and what could the fix be?

2) Does the electric cooling fan run at different speeds?

Thanks,
Zach
Old 03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Zach,

Year and Model?

But the large thing on the Engine that has PORSCHE on it, is the Cam Tower; Inside is the Camshaft that pushes the lifters which open the Intake and Exhaust Valves (sorry if i dumbed it down too much for you)

Anyway the Exhaust Manifold is right underneath the Cam Tower, and it sounds like your CamTower Gasket, or CamShaft Seal is starting to leak... This Oil Leak will drip onto the Hot Exhaust Headers and Burn, which creates smoke...

Is this a big deal? Not really...

Should it be fixed? Yea sure, but it won't cause engine failure or any real serious issues...

Is it hard to fix? Depends on your skills and tools; but no it's not too bad. You would have to remove the Timing and Balance Belts, Fuel Rail, and the CamTower. (Its like an afternoon project; though many afternoon projects can turn into a week if bolts/parts break...)

Sounds like you have an Early Model 85 or older, and yea I believe the Cooling fan has a High and Low speed.

If you just got this car recently: Do you know when the Belts and Waterpump were changed?

-Pete
Old 03-02-2011, 03:52 PM
zmarchet
5th Gear

Pete,

Awesome answer. Thanks so much. That was everything I needed to know.

1984 944 and I do not know when the timing belt was changed. That is the first thing on my list of things to do. I cant justify 600 dollars on a belt tensioning tool so I need to find some other way of getting it properly tightened.

Hopefully i will have a plan of attacking the water pump and belts in the next few weeks. If the smoking gets any worse at that point i will investigate that further.

Thanks for your help!

Zach
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Great, your welcome.

If you don't know the age of the Timing Belt or Waterpump you should probably change them... These are common failure points of the 944; If the waterpump seizes it can break the timing belt; If the timing belt breaks ... Well at the very least the top end of your engine will need to be rebuilt...

(I changed my belt, and kept the old waterpump... 3 months later the Waterpump siezed! fortunately since the timing belt was brand new it did not break, though it was pretty torn up... Probably Close)

Long Story Short: You might as well change them both at the sametime, and on that list should also be Balance belt, and Rollers/pulleys. While your in there Pull the Cam Tower and Fix that leak! Ha ha The Parts for this will be around $700-$1,000 -Welcome to Porsche Ownership...

As for tightening the Belts: I (and many others) have used the twist method with success... Search for this job; it is well documented. There are also a couple special tools (Flywheel Lock, Balance Shaft Wrench, Flat Wrench) you might be able to borrow these if you can find some local 944 owners...

Good Luck, and keep us posted with your adventures in Porsche Ownership.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM
zmarchet
5th Gear

Pete,

Damn these parts and how expensive they are. i really dont want to skimp on the belt tensioning but I'm definitely not taking it to a dealer or paying for a part I might only use once. What do you think about this tool?

http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...skukey_1000814

The water pump and timing belt and balance belts will be the first they I take on. i am gonna start looking for parts and tools to do this as cheaply as i can.

Zach
Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Waterpump $300
4 Belts (Timing, Balance, Alt, Steering) $60

but you should probably replace the Rollers and Tensioners $200

Shop Around, and do your research to make sure your get all the parts you need... Waterpump for example needs (Waterpump Gasket, Block off Plate, Guard Rail, Tensioner) some place sell this stuff together other sell them as different parts... so just make sure you make a list and double check what you need before ordering parts...

and like i said this job has been well document several times *see clarks garage -for instance

As for the Cricket belt tensioning tool: I had it when i did my job but did not use it... I just used the "Twist Method" search and you will find this...

Quick Reply: A little smoke coming from engine. how bad is this? what could it be?