944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Tach bounce...sometimes. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach bounce...sometimes. Please help

I recently purchased an 88 924S, which i know i am in the wrong forum but there is more traffic here and they are basically the same. So i bought it not running with a bad fuel pump. It had been sitting for 3 years. I replaced the fuel pump, but still no start, and no tach bounce (it would blip as the key switch went from start position back to run position). Changed the ref sensors, and still no bounce. I then changed the DME relay, still no bounce. I have checked all the fuses, and grounds, and sometimes i get tach bounce (and spark) but never any fuel. There is fuel pressure but nothing in the cylinders. I'm going to test injector signal tomorrow, but i am really at a loss with the tach signal. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:05 PM
JFreeman
Instructor

Default update

So i dont know if anyone else has run into this before, i think it may happen from time to time. I was setting the depth of the ref sensors, while doing this i decided to check the allen screw that is the trigger for one of the sensors, and found that it is broke off flush with the flywheel So i can only assume there is something laying in the bottom of the bell housing...say maybe a stray bolt...that the allen screw came in contact with. I'm in the process of taking the bell housing off right now, i'm hoping i can get it out without dropping the rear suspension...i'l keep you guys posted
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
JFreeman
Instructor

Default She's alive!

Just an update. Pulled the torque tube back far enough to get the bell housing off of the block. Drilled the allen screw, and proceeded to break off my easy-out in the hole So after pulling the clutch, installing a spare flywheel, setting sensor depth, and re-assembling the car...and she still didnt start...but i did have spark, and also signal to the injectors. Turned out the injectors were also plugged. Swapped them out with some i had laying around and she now runs like a champ
Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 AM
B-radley H
8th Gear

Common problem when I tried getting my Porsche 944 running after sitting in Texas for 10 years without being ran; the injectors got clogged 3 times. My advice, just run the car constantly so the crap in the tank doesn’t clog your injectors again.

Quick Reply: Tach bounce...sometimes. Please help