Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Mysterious Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011 | 09:26 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Default Mysterious Oil Leak

Though I have a 968, I think that the issue I will describe is also common to the 944 engine.

I have a massive oil leak coming from the area of the front of the engine around the lower balance shaft housing. Problem is that I cannot pin point where the leak is coming from.

I have disturbed that area of the engine since I had to pull the balance shaft assembly down to replace the infamous rear cover O-ring seal. A tough job with the engine in the car and with the exhaust still hooked up!

Any of you who have done this know that getting the balance shaft housing to seal when putting the thing back together is not easy. You have to use Permatex or other gasket maker to coat the housing and its cover. Then there is the front housing assembly that has to be installed over the cover.......etc, etc. At any rate, I'm pretty certain that my leak has to be coming from that area, but short of pulling the entire housing and balance shaft out of the engine and starting over......I don't know what to do. I did pull the nose housing off the car to replace the balance shaft seal and to make certain I had not left the housing O-ring out (I had not). I also wanted to check to be certain that I had not left out the very thin plastic washer type seal that slips over the balance shaft (I had not). Nonetheless, I replaced all of these seals again just to be safe.

Buttoned her all up and she still leaks. But, the oil is everywhere. So, I am at a loss. I think I should pull the entire balance shaft housing off and start over from scratch; but, it is such a bitch to do that job that I am reluctant.

Any advice that anyone on the 944/968 board can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a trick to putting the cover (which has the bearing saddles for the balance shaft) and the balance shaft into place on the engine? There is no way to secure the balance shaft to the engine to then put the cover in place.

Obviously I need help!
Old 02-28-2011 | 12:30 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

This weekend i pulled the Intake Manifold off my 87' 944, and was able to remove the Balance Shaft Housing without undoing the belts or rollers...

I was Told You could not do this;;; But TaDa i did.. My Balance Shaft stayed right in the lower bearing shell; so i removed the housing, replaced a broken bolt, that rear o-ring and used Loctite 574 to seal it all back up. This However Does Not Allow you to redo the Front O-Ring and Roller Seal; Just the housing itself...

Maybe my Balance Shaft stayed in place because my balance Shaft Belt is Very loose...

p.s. I hate oil leaks,,, my car seems to always be leaking from somewhere, and tracking it down is a never ending journey...

for my post with a couple pictures search the 924/931/944/951/968 Forum for Upper Balance Shaft Housing Removal without removing Belts?

*maybe this will help; I feel your pain...

Quick Reply: Mysterious Oil Leak