944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Questions for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 02:02 PM
vwghia-guy
Track Day

Default Questions for a newbie

Hi all!
Been lurking for a while and finally bit the bullet and bought an '89 S2. I've been looking at mods and am considering a Chevy LSX conversion. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is there a forum specifically for this? Any help would be appreciated.

chris
huntsville, al
Old 01-19-2011 | 04:51 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

If you are going to swap a Chevy V8 into a 944 (Which i fully support); I would not use an S2.

Unless the S2 has a blown engine or something....

REASON: The S2 has a great engine, I believe stock figures are around 210HP and 210 Ft/lbs... Also there is a high demand for this car/engine.

So I would suggest enjoying the car as it is, look into tuning the S2 engine, or selling the S2 and buying a less expensive 944 2.5na and doing V8 upgrade.

(Final Thought: 944S2 = High Demand vs 944 2.5na = Dime a Dozen)
Old 01-19-2011 | 05:14 PM
catfish
Rennlist Member

I agree - what condition is the car in?
Old 01-21-2011 | 12:55 PM
vwghia-guy
Track Day

Thanks for the feedback. The car is in good shape, I'd rate it 8 out of 10. I do lots of maintenance. My question had more to do with future costs. If something catastrophic happens to this motor, it seems to be cheaper to replace with an LS1 conversion than to fix the 3.0.

I've done quite a bit to the car since I got it. I had the paintless dent guy take care of the vast majority of dings on the car. Also, I had the roof and sunroof panel repainted. I've also recovered the seats and have a new dash on the way. I upgraded the lights with euro driving/fog units and upgraded the headlights with true German Hella H4 e-codes. It has a nice of turbo twists on it which contrast the black paint very well. I plan on keeping this car for a while as my daily driver and want to get all the performance I can out of it. It is a wonderful machine and I will not make any changes that cannot be easily undone.

chris
Old 01-21-2011 | 07:57 PM
catfish
Rennlist Member

Sounds nice. If you're happy with the performance, a little preventative maintenance will prevent 'something catastrophic", as i'm sure you know. Even if an LS1 swap was cheaper, would it be easier? Seems to me the reason to do the swap is for the power, not cost.

Quick Reply: Questions for a newbie