944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

coolant temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 PM
VFARINA
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant temp

First off thanks for the great forum. Wondering if anyone out there can help. I have a 88 944s, 2nd owner. I started to notice in the beginning of the summer that the temp guage inside the car was pushing towards red...had a new radiator installed as well as the sending unit to the guage. No help Tried every way I could read about to burp the system...each time got a little air out but no major help with the temp. Side- note Po had the water pump and timing belt changed about 10,000 miles ago (88,000) by a VERY reputable Porsche mechanic in town. I bought a infared temp guage for the heck of it and the hottest hose I can find reads 212 f after the car has been running for half hour or so (fans come on as they should). Now I noticed the other day after running for some time, my heat in the car suddenly turned to cold air..... So any suggestions and also is 212 too hot???? thanks much
Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Farina, I sent you a message.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:12 AM
VFARINA
3rd Gear

didn't get it
Old 12-28-2010, 12:01 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey VFARINA,

When does your car do this? While Driving? Idling? After slowing down from High speed? Stop and Go Traffic?

Generally if you cannot get Heat to come out of your vents; it means there is either Air Stuck in there, or your Water Pump is not Circulating Coolant.. <--- If the Water Pump is not working correctly, maybe your T-Belt is too loose to turn it; or maybe the 'New' Pump was a 'rebuilt' one that is starting to fail (I have heard bad experiences with the Rebuilt pumps)

This summer I had my water pump fail on me. Weeks before the actual failure I noticed my temps rising too high, especially when slowing down. Then one day I was driving, and I started to enter the red zone... Long Story Short: The Pump Pulley was completely seized! Couldn't even turn it using Vice Grips!

I attached some Temp Gauge Pictures :Below: to let you know the Actual Temp Readings.

Keep Replying and we can help resolve this issue.

BTW 212f is not too hot.. Mine often hits the 212f (100c) mark during stop and go traffic, especially during the summer. But it comes down toward the middle within 30 seconds.

Also watch your temp gauge for movement when you turn electrical accessories on such as Lights, or Fans.. Most of us have bad grounds leading to inaccurate readings...

Attached Images    
Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM
VFARINA
3rd Gear

THANKS does this all the time, driving, sitting still doesn't matter. I found a great way to bleed the air out which uses a drilled out zerk fitting in the bleeder opening; running a clear line back into the coolant tank. I ran the car for allmost 40 minutes and air was still spurting out. Wondering if I'm sucking air into the system somewhere....
Old 01-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a pressurized system so no air sucking possible, but it might be wise to do a cylinder compression/leakdown test.

Quick Reply: coolant temp