944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Windshield water tray/drain question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM
scandell
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield water tray/drain question

Hi, Im new here, doing some research before buying a 944.
I have looked at a few ranging from 84-88 normal and turbo, and I cant find the water tray under the windshield like all modern cars have to drain the water from the windshield (like a gutter) to under the front wheels (usually) but all of the 944s I have looked at don't appear to have that.
I asked the owners about it they say they haven't removed it and it has never bean a problem but its perplexing me.
The drain-like thing that the 944s have appears to drain the water right on the battery wires (and I have seen the wires taped up)

I don't know how it should be I haven't found a picture yet that shows that there should be anything, so if anyone knows anything about this, if you have had problems with it or anything do tell.

Thank you.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, There are two water drains, one on each side foreword of the windshield. On the 85.5 and newer, one is located aft of the fuse block and the other is under the battery. They are just 1 1/2' slits in the pan and slightly raised. These drains have to be kept cleaned out so the collected water flows out. Not the best idea as leaves etc. can plug them up. They may be covered in dirt, leaves, etc. and hard to locate, but they are there.
In the future post in the Main 944 area and you will get more answers.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM
dave1192
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also a cover over the heater fan (part 14 here) which was missing on my car when I got it.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2010, 05:57 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me, rainwater runoff should be the least of your worries when you're looking at buying one of these cars

Quick Reply: Windshield water tray/drain question