944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Seriously considering getting an '89 944 S2

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
bfeltus
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seriously considering getting an '89 944 S2

Considering buying a 944, but i need some advice. I am going off to college soon so i do need a fairly reliable car, but i also want one that i really care about. i found an '89 S2 on ebay

HTML Code:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-944-S2-1989-Porsche-944-S2-Upgraded-and-very-well-maintaned_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a5979cb66QQitemZ250609257318QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks
I need to know if this would be a recommended car for daily driving and somewhat regular long drives. Is this car in great condition or is it a pretty common find? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by bfeltus; 04-06-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 944 S2

I drove this car; runs great. PM me for more information about the car.

That said, "going off to college soon," "fairly reliable car," and 944 S2 are tough to put together. Not to dampen your towel, but as a first-time recent 944 owner (way out of college), you have to ask yourself why you're getting a 20 year-old car for college that you need to be reliable. Where are you going to school? Will you have parking? Is there snow? Will you be able to put on daily driving? Do you want to ride for fun (you won't have time)? Are cars stolen off of the street? Will you do your own maintaining of the car? Will you have the space to do that? Did you want your friends to ride with you? Because that's a two-seater, unless you have some very tiny friends.

This particular car is average price for that year, that model, but given its upgrades, it's a great price. That said, I've been told that there's no such thing as a Porsche cheaper than $20,000: throughout its lifespan, you will pay. 944s are often a headache, and a bit of a love-hate relationship. I love mine. Today.

No 20 year-old car is going to be 100% reliable. That said, the 944 engine is very resistant if you take care of it. If you change your belts, pumps and do the work, the car is great. There's no mileage cap, so in truth the total mileage doesn't matter, as long as it's been maintained AND upgraded/repaired along the way. If you don't do your own work, you're looking at money into a car every few years or so, and when parts go, you've got to find them. S2s are easier to find parts for than the S (so I'm told) but not as easy as the 944 itself.

If you really want a car that's fun and reliable, you might do better than a late-80s Porsche. You might even be able to get three of your friends in the car with you.

Last edited by Peter 642; 04-08-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 AM
prossi
Instructor

i have a clean well maintained 89 S2 with only 100k unlike the 180 on the one you poset the link about.. i am considering selling to purchase a 911, originally a florida car its white on blue with all options including full leather interior, premium sound, sport suspension and lsd w/cooler paint is nice undercarridge is increadibly clean. i HAVE been daily driving it for the past 2 summers and have had nothing but good experience,except a coule of minor oil leaks from the pressure sensor and oil cooler seal. i have both this S2 and a turbo and the S2 has been MUCH more reliable...much more rliable!! as a matter of fact i just drove her from chicago to north carolina, spent 2 days driving deals gap, and drove her back home to chicago with absolutley no issues. i have all service records since new im the 3rd owner and in the 2 years ive owned it i have maintained very well..i am super **** and treat all my cars like children!! some of the work i have done include all new belts, timing and balance, updated to a sprung clutch instead of the rubber,short shift kit,cold air intake, autopower rol bar, harness bar, corbeu seat and harness, momo wheel, axxis ultimate pads and cross drilled rotors, paragon brake cooling ducts, new ate blue brake fluid and motul tranny fluid, weltmeister springs, lindsey sway bar drop links in rear and reinforcements in front, custom exhaust, and several other things. always done regulsr synthetic oil changes,and tune up every year.since these pics i have tinted the side markers, tail lights and installed clear front lenses The car does have the mods listed because i started prepping for DE events but have decided to use the 951 instead.all original parts included

I own a shop and am so confident about this car that i will offer a 1 year free labor guarantee on any non maintenance repair to anyone who buys it, which means you pay for parts and ill do the work for free

if interested pm me...here is a couple old cell phone pics

Last edited by prossi; 11-22-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:57 AM
DHC6
Racer

Small world, I baught this car (the one in the first post). Got it home, and it's in great shape, but the clutch master cylinder just blew, found a leaky fuel line, need to replace PS hose (knew that when I baught the car)... but damn it drives amazing. So a 944 is really not the choice for someone going off to college, they are great cars, but need TLC to keep them from really costing you. If you neglect a 944, it will empty your pockets PDQ!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:35 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a car for a college kid....as DHC6 has said. Unless you're either wealthy or have enough time, tools and a lift to do your own work. Most (unlike the white one above which seems to be a beauty) have not been properly maintained and can cost an arm/leg to get up to par. The clutch job the car you almost bougth (to the OP) will cost DH on the order of $1800 unless he does it himself....in which case it's about $650 in parts.

Wait until school's done...then get an S2...they are GREAT cars !!!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 AM
Izzy Does It
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must agree with the others on this point. The 944 is not a car that I would recommend for a college student in need of "reliable" transportation. My advice? Postpone your love affair until after graduation.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering getting an '89 944 S2