944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Greetings. Clutch master cylinder X-post

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Vic Rattlehead
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings. Clutch master cylinder X-post

Hi all. New poster here. Also posting this in the 951/Turbo forums.

Recently started having clutch pedal issues. The pedal would only return halfway and sometimes even sink and get forced to the carpet (by the helper spring I'd imagine)

Before I get going I should say this is a UK car with the master cylinder on the right hand side including it's own separate reservoir. 1991 951

Going through the history, the car had a new slave cylinder 2 years ago. Checked the master cylinder reservoir and the fluid was black. I pulled the master and stripped it apart and the top most seal on the piston looked like it had been chewed by a mouse. I've rebuilt the cylinder with a repair kit, but can't get the pedal to pump up suffieciently.
Also bleeding the traditional way only yields small squirts and nothing much being taken from the reservoir. Reverse bleeding (with an oil squirt can and length of pipe) shows air coming up through the reservoir and the level fills up. But after a couple of pushes on the pedal (enough to drain what the squirt can has put in the master) it seems to not take anything or little from the main reservoir.

Question is, can anyone tell me the way the tapered seals on the master cylinder piston should fit? I originally thought they fitted as in example A. But on seeing this link.................
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...1263631k482812
I decided to reverse the top most seal to how it's shown in B. Note neither arrangement has given proper results, although I've had better results with A.

Sorry, I should say that the right hand side (where the letters are) would be the pushrod side.

Thanks in advance everyone. This is a great community.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
madrob6
1st Gear

Can't help too much with this but from pulling mine apart I can tell you that the seals were both facing the same way but I can't remember which way, sorry. Also mine stopped working because there was a blockage between the reservoir and the MC, giving mine a wiggle brought it back to life, it may also be worth replacing the hose between the reservoir and the cylinder.

Where did you get your new seals from? I can't find any suppliers in the UK. Porsche dealers have told me they don't supply them and don't know of anybody who does.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 AM
MacinTek
Racer

The seals are pointing the same direction. see the illustration below. I would double check the hose between the master and slave.

Last edited by MacinTek; 06-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Greetings. Clutch master cylinder X-post