944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Do I have weird calipers on my car? '84 Spec944

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Do I have weird calipers on my car? '84 Spec944

Hi guys. I'm working on rehab-ing an '84 Spec944. I know it has an '87 engine and may have some other weird parts, but this surprises me...

I was replacing the stainless braided brake lines and I ordered a set from Pelican Parts that says they're for 944's to '89 and Turbos to '87. The rears were fine, but the fronts had a problem. My calipers have a female flare in them (cupped) and the lines I took out of them had a male (pointed) flare to match. However, the new lines that I received have a female (cupped) flare on the end of the line. The end that goes into the caliper is male-threaded.

The later model calipers seem to go to a male fitting on them, so the lines have female ends on both ends. Does any one have any idea what calipers I might have and if I might be able to find an adapter to make these work?

Thanks!

- Anthony
Old 12-01-2009, 09:24 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

a picture would be helpful there were quite a few different calipers for the 944 range
Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Here's all I've got. In the picture with the 2 flares, the one on the left is what I need (which is what was in the calipers), the one on the right is what I received.
Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

sorry thats not going to help. Brake pipes and hoses can be changed to suit connections and calipers . You probably haven't got standard calipers . They could be off an early or later turbo or practically anything.

If you are keeping the existing calipers you will need to order the hoses to suit your existing calipers and brake pipes ie male end to female flared end in the correct length.

I suggest you measure your existing hoses and take a picture and compare with Pelican's hoses .Better still send a hose to Pelican so they can match it up.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Pelican doesn't make their own hoses. They order them as a kit, so they weren't any help (obviously, I went back to them first). Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get the proper hoses here in the US?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

UPDATE: Pelican parts sourced their lines from Precise Lines, but were receiving them with the wrong fittings for the front lines. They're refusing to take them back since I installed the rear lines, but I'm fighting this. I either want Precise Lines to send me the correct front lines, or I wasn Pelican to take the whole set back. Only seams reasonable when it was THEIR screw up.

FYI: Paragon Products carries the correct lines and has been very helpful.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

if you ordered the pipes and gave pelican parts the correct chassis number for your car they have either supplied the wrong parts or your car's calipers have been changed to a different model at some time in the past.

Why don't you contact a Porsche dealer and ask them for the Porsche part number for your car's front hoses and then google the part number and compare the Pelican hose with the Porsche hose .
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Z3SpdDmn
Advanced

Pelican, after a couple days of looking into it, found out that Precision Lines was putting the wrong fitting on the lines. They have come through and agreed to refund me for the lines, so I'll be sending them back and buying the correct ones.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your car is an 84, it looks like the control arms have been updated to the later alum style (post 85.5). I wonder if the spindles were also replaced and whether or not the post 85.5 calipers were used. Not sure if those calipers differ from the 84.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

well done for keeping at it. Pelican are renowned world-wide for good service so I never doubted they would sort it for you. Good luck

Quick Reply: Do I have weird calipers on my car? '84 Spec944