944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Newbie with a belt question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:47 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Newbie with a belt question

Hi all, I just bought an '84 944 that has been sitting for about 2 - 3 yrs, due to a failed fuel pump (and general laziness of the PO). I'm picking up the service records shortly, but my question is: even if the belt and pulleys were brand new when the pump died, would you trust it? It's been sitting in one position for quite a while, under tension, so even though it might not show wear, could it be unsuitable?

Any suggestions for flushing the fuel tank/system would be appreciated, too. I'd like to avoid dropping the tank if possible, and figure to pull the check valve/plug on the fuel rail to flush up to the injectors.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
bbourdon
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth the risk of not doing a three hour belt job? Absolutely not. Change those belts!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:16 PM
951jamie
Advanced

Just like bbourdon said "change those belts!"
As for the fuel tank....were the hose is coming out of the bottom you can drain it there,also open the rear hatch,remove the carpet and you will see a square white padon the right side of the car.Remove that and the fuel sending unit is under that,remove the fuel sending unit and let it air out over night.The next day you should be able to put some cleaner in throught that hole(mineral spirts).This will wash out some of the gunk but this is about the best you can do without removing the tank.
jamie@944online.com
www.944online.com
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Thanks for confirming my suspicions! I would be amazed if it's a new-ish belt anyway.

As for the tank, that is excellent info! I will look in there to see what it looks like, but will actually use acetone if it's gummy, it's about all that dissolves varnish.

By the way, I got this car on the cheap because the guy is convinced the fuel pump died. He tested for power at the pump connector, found it, and assumed the pump must be bad. I'm betting the relay is a goner.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:29 PM
L8_apex
Rennlist Member

+1 on the suggestion to change the timing and balance shaft belts.

Since you're new here - I'd suggest you also post (if you havn't already) on the "water cooled" board (924/944/951 etc) with progress and questions on the project. There is a lot more traffic there.

Good luck on getting another 944 back in action. Other than mechanicals - is it in decent condition? Are you looking for a daily driver or track car?
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

This will be my "fun" car (or "middle age crisis" car, depending who you ask). I got it for $1200, couldn't resist. My son has a 951 with the LS1 conversion, and I figured at the worst I could do something similar (probably with a GM 3800 instead of a V8). I'm in New Mexico and the car has been here all its life, so there is lots of sun damage to the paint and interior, but the body has -zero- rust anywhere, even the underside. Some buffing and it will look very good outside; new seats and carpet are all the the interior needs.

Quick Reply: Newbie with a belt question