Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Smell like gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008 | 03:07 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Default Smell like gasoline

First of all, I want to say hi ! Im new here i recently bought a 86 944 NA, I had a 1992 BMW 318is before.

The problem is, yesterday I went to the gas station to fill up the car with 91. But when the car is running it smells gasoline inside the car.. nothing is leaking and the engine bay doesnt smell gas at all.. what could it be ?

thanks
Old 07-11-2008 | 05:23 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

3 notes:

1) Please list your car in your sig, it often makes it easier to answer year/model specific questions (this time you're off the hook though, since you listed it in your post
2) Don't waste your money on 91 octane, your car will get 0hp more (arguably perhaps even loose hp) on 91 than 87, and will work just as well for just as long. The turbo's and 16v motors sometimes need the higher octane, but an 86 8v motor w/o a turbo will run all day long on 87.
3) The gas smell could be a lot of things:

a) a bad seal on the back of the firewall, allowing the air vents to pull in under-hood air & blow it into the cabin
b) a bad seal on the hatch, causing exhaust gasses to come in through the bottom of the hatch
c) a leaky gas cap/filler neck - had this happen to me, gas would just pour back out the gas cap when I went around turns.
d) a bad seal in the fuel level sender on top of the gas tank. in the hatch, under the carpet, on the right side, there's a rubber 'cap' which you can remove to get access to the top of the tank... check that everything's dry there. You may need to peel up a white piece of fabric covering the cap (if it's still there - push it back down when you're done).
Old 07-11-2008 | 10:25 PM
philip77o
Instructor

ok, but it happens only when I fill up the tank to full, first time a went to the gas station i only filled up the half... and it didnt smell gas
Old 07-17-2008 | 09:20 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

An earlier 944S2 I used to have did something similar. I finally figured out that the rubber neck around the fuel fill was deteriorated and had cracked. Apparently, when gas would slosh up the neck during hard cornering, it would leak out the crack(s). Gas smell would permeate the car, and you could even see some spillage along the top of the fender. Additionally, the condition would worsen based upon more fuel in the tank. Initially, I replaced the cap, but it didn't solve it. I used some rubber cement, from a tire repair kit, and basically smeared it all around, trying to workin it into the cracks as much as possible. Let it dry for a couple of days, and it solved the problem. **see below

Another possibility is the overflow drain is disconnected or broken. Just below the gas cap is a hole in the rubber neck, that leads to a drain down the fender behind the wheel. The tube then exits under the car. If the tube is broken or disconnected, any spillage while fueling will run down the tube, and end up in the fender; a tiny amount of gas will smell inside the car for quite a while. Insure the tube is properly draining under the car. **If you're repairing cracks in the rubber neck with rubber cement, make sure you don't seal up the drain hole

Lastly, check to insure the tank venting system is in good shape. OEM, a hard plastic tube runs from the top of the tank, under the car, and to a charcoal canister in the left front fender. It then vents into the intake system, in order to reburn fumes from the tank, rather than venting them to the atmosphere. On my race car, the charcoal tank was gone, and a small K&N filter in its place. However, as the tank would empty, I was experiencing fumes in the car. It was accompanied by massive pressure release when I removed the gas cap. And the lower the fuel level, the worse it got. My belief was that tank wasn't venting, and air pressure would simply build (particularly in the heat), and fumes would force their way out wherever possible. I discovered a kink in the hard plastic tube under the car, probably caused by a rock. I cut it out and slid a section of clear vinyl tubing over the good sections. Fumes are GONE!
Old 07-17-2008 | 10:31 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

I have the same problem
Old 07-19-2008 | 02:26 PM
philip77o
Instructor

ok, i might have found the problem, it looks like it comes from the rear right fender where the rubber hose is, i get I strong smell of gas from this spot, it must be the hose or the seal...
Old 08-03-2008 | 10:07 PM
DainBramaged
Track Day

I have same problem at the moment. I checked where the sending unit is and all is dry. Still trying to track it down
Old 08-10-2008 | 09:21 AM
Todd Swenson
3rd Gear

You might want to check the hose connections to the fuel expansion tank located under the passenger-side trim panel that holds the rear speaker. Also, there is a vent hose that runs from the small drain hole under the rubber flap for the gas cap to the back of the car. This hose allows any overfilled gasoline to drain out the back. You'll see this hose clipped inside the compartment under the rear hatch carpet.
Todd

Quick Reply: Smell like gasoline