Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 rattle under car..shifter, clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 PM
kapakai2
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 944 rattle under car..shifter, clutch?

Just picked up my second 944…it’s an 86 with about 80 k….To the point,, the clutch works great < like it should but there is noise up front in the Tube…

Upon coasting, I can move the shifter and the noise clicks…or when I roll forward in 1st, there is the same noise..If the car is on stands and I rock the rear wheel back and forth,,,the clicking come from front of tube as stated earlier…

I’m terrified of putting in a new clutch due to cost and as I said it works great……is there something else I should look for?

Got any ideas?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
LeMans71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the car on the original clutch? I don't know about a "click", but when the rubber center goes out you will hear/feel a "clunk" upon acceleration and deceleration. The rubber centers are known to go out before the friction components in the clutch wear out - hence it seems like the clutch still "works great."

Not sure about the symptom of moving the shifter while coasting = click - that seems unrelated. The clicking up front when rocking the rear wheel sounds like the clutch.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:43 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Your clutch is blown. The center rubber part of it is shot, and it's just running on the emergency metal tabs. Those tabs won't last long! Every time you hear that click, the tabs are one step closer to failure, so change that clutch (with a spring-centered turbo clutch) before it's too late. It's a shame because the stupid center rubber bushing always fails long before the friction surface, so the clutch can still grab really well but when the center part fails, the car will leave you stranded.

I hope I'm wrong about the clutch but that's really what it sounds like.

Quick Reply: 944 rattle under car..shifter, clutch?