Cooling fan runs intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Sajid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan runs intermittently

Hey guys,

I did a search on the forums here and also checked out clarks-garage but havent seen anything related to the problem im experiencing.

I have a '90 S2 cab and after driving for some time, the cooling fans turn on full blast for about 5 seconds, then turn off, (i hear the relay click), then they turn on again. And they keep doing this over and over again. My temp guage always reads just above the 1st quarter mark so im definitely not heating up. When i park the car and leave the key in accessory mode, it continues to do the same thing. I popped the hood and noticed that the fan closer to the passenger side turns off and the other fan is the one that is running full blast. So it does that for about 5 secs, then both fans come on at slow speed and then passenger side fan cuts out again. I tried replacing the relay with the one from my 951 and still the same thing so that rules out the relay I would think.

Also, my a/c needs to be recharged so I cant test anything with the a/c button..

Any ideas?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:03 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds like maybe the temperature sensor in the rad may be going unstable Thats where I would start as its cheap and easy to get to. Substitute a known good one from a friends car or put a multimeter on it
Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Sajid
Racer

is there instructions somewhere on how to remove/replace the sensor?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:47 AM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are going to do some work on your car yourself then you are going to need a workshop manual. Haynes do a reasonable one (Amazon) or there are some $10 CD manuals on ebay. Do a search on this forum and on google . have a look on Pelican
I would recommend that you use a multimeter to check the voltage at the relay and sensor connector first before you start removing or replacing anything or you could cause more problems.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:29 AM
David Boutelle
Instructor

to test the fan switch go to the bottom of the radiator left side unplug the 2 wires that go to the switch make a jumper and connect the 2 wires the fan should come on and stay on . if so then its your fan switch . one other thing to check look to see if the fan switch and thermostat are of the same heat range . i had a car in this past winter were the fans seamed to have a mind of there own and what it was the owner installed a thermostat with a much lower temp range than the fan switch witch made the fans kick on and off .
Old 06-02-2007, 08:38 AM
TF
Instructor

Did you solve this problem. What was the fix??

THANKS
Old 06-08-2007, 12:36 AM
944s2guy
Instructor

I am going to add my prolem to this thread as it is a fan issue... let me know if the same replies would fix this.....

I just noticed two days ago that when I either A. Put the key in accessory mode.... or B. Start the car, the fans are both on what sound to be the highest setting. Running very loud... and they never shut off.(until I turn the car off.)

Any Ideas?

I am not too horribly concerned due to the fact I know the car is getting proper cooling with the fans running like this lol.... I just dont want to kill the fans in the long run.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan runs intermittently