1984 Porsche 944 won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:14 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Porsche 944 won't start!

Hey guys,

Long story short, I bought a 1984 Porsche 944 that wasn't running. The body is in excellent shape, there is no rust, and the motor appears (general inspection) to be in good shape.

When I first bought it, it was dead. I replaced the battery with a new one, still would do nothing (lights turned on though...)

I bought a replacement starter and installed it. Now the engine cranks, but it still won't start. I removed one of the plugs and ground it on the rad support and can verify that I am getting spark when I crank it.

I've also tried spraying (liberally) starting fluid into the throttle body directly to see if I can try to get it to start. The car still won't start.

I'm somewhat at a loss here... the car has spark, it cranks, it has air, and I've verified that there is fuel (at least in terms of spraying starting fluid in there).

What else could I be missing? Could I'm ASSUMING that the timing is ok, but I haven't removed the cover.

Any ideas where I should go from here?

Thanks guys!

Todd
Old 11-05-2006, 06:25 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure the starting fluid bit will do it.

When you turn on the key do you hear the fuel pump run? It's in the rear near the tank....If I recall it's near the passenger side rear wheel.

If not, you may want to check/replace the DME relay....about a $40 item.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Thanks J!

I tried to listen to the sound, that's always been the key for me too with diagnosing problems with Fiero fuel pumps, and I DID hear something, but it was VERY VERY faint. I don't know how loud it normally should be, but the fuel pump in say, a Fiero, is much louder in the first 5-6 seconds when I turn a car's ignition to the on position. So, I don't know if that's what I actually heard, and maybe it was much more faint because the 944 is a more refined car? Or could that have been something else I heard?

I just ordered a 944 Haynes repair manual, so I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Would you mind telling me where the DME relay is? I am guessing the DME relay has something to do with the DME computer? (Is that the "ECM" but with a different name)? What would be a way for me to test the ECM? You'll have to excuse me, but all the other cars I'm normally accustomed to working with (that have computer control) are either newer cars, or American, so for me there is something called an ALDL. For pre-1996 cars, I basically take a paper clip and short two wires. The "Check Engine" light then flashes some codes for me and basically half-diagnoses the problem for me (or at least it will tell me if the ECM is alive). Is there any such thing on the Porsche 944 for the year I have? (1984).

Thanks for the help!!!

Todd
Old 11-05-2006, 08:09 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

If you check my sig you'll see I used to have an 84 NA.....lay down on your back on the floor in the driver's side foot-well...and look up. You'll see the DME (computer) as well as the fuse/relay board.

Don't remember off the top of my head which one is the DME relay but this also controls the fuel pump. It's common for it to go and will prevent the car from running.

Suggest you go to the other board here under watercooled and do a search on DME relay...you'll find everything you want to know including how to jump out the relay for testing puroposes.

best

Joe
Old 11-05-2006, 08:50 PM
82-T/A
Racer

Thanks Berk, I did notice that in your signature. I appreciate the help.

I'll take your advice and do that.

Thanks!!!

Todd
Old 04-05-2016, 04:09 PM
shinpaughde
2nd Gear

I have a1984 944 that I've been throwing parts at for the last year. This car ran great and we drove it to work every day. Until one morning the car would start but as soon as you let go the key it would die. After talking to everyone I could think of and taking their advise. I've replaced the DME relay the fuel pump and filter, the O2 sensor, the ignition switch and just about everything that I was advised to do and still have the same thing. I even replace the Fuel pressure regulator and Damper as well as the fuel rail. Then there was a guy at Pelican Parts told me to post my problems on this forum and said it sound to him like the cars security system was messed up. That I should find out if anyone here knew how to bypass it. So please help me out. Does anyone know to do that? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:50 PM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 82-T/A
Thanks Berk, I did notice that in your signature. I appreciate the help.

I'll take your advice and do that.

Thanks!!!

Todd
Does your tachometer bounce when cranking?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:10 PM
shinpaughde
2nd Gear

Smile

Thanks Todd Il have that already out of the car. I was looking for a way to test it. It has label on it that says Hebedach Radio on the top and has the numbers that are 945 615 103 00. Also under that number is 89 8252. Do you know if that is what I suppose to be looking for? It also has the numbers on the pin out left to right 2 30 15 next row R A 31 next row 3 1 4. If that helps? Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:26 AM
951bo
Track Day

Originally Posted by shinpaughde
I have a1984 944 that I've been throwing parts at for the last year. This car ran great and we drove it to work every day. Until one morning the car would start but as soon as you let go the key it would die. After talking to everyone I could think of and taking their advise. I've replaced the DME relay the fuel pump and filter, the O2 sensor, the ignition switch and just about everything that I was advised to do and still have the same thing. I even replace the Fuel pressure regulator and Damper as well as the fuel rail. Then there was a guy at Pelican Parts told me to post my problems on this forum and said it sound to him like the cars security system was messed up. That I should find out if anyone here knew how to bypass it. So please help me out. Does anyone know to do that? Thanks.
The original post is many years old, however look here for bypass http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-23.htm

I have repaired many cars and the symptoms you give are a bad ignition switch and I realize you said you replaced it.

Quick Reply: 1984 Porsche 944 won't start!