944 Headlight Switch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:19 AM
levelabovehuman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Headlight Switch Issues

Hello all!

I thought my 86 944's headlight switch was going bad because every now and then the lights would not open and if they did the lights themselves weren't always on. If I hit a bump the lights would lose power and cut out. I replaced the switch itself and I get the same problem.

After looking at the back half, the female plug that goes to the harness (944.612.531.00 I think), it seems that this is the true trouble maker. Im not sure if the metal connectors in the end of the plug are supposed to be firmly in place, but mine are not. They jiggle if I shake the plug. This is about the only thing I can see that would cause this type of problem.

Has anyone had this same type of problem? Is there a way to replace just this part of the switch unit? Are there any repair kits or maybe just a fix that could get my lights to work? My only guess right now is to attempt to fashion my own plug unit, but I don't want to do that if there is a better way.

Note: If I squeeze the top part of the switch with the bottom, it will spark and the lights will turn on, I can also get them to come on by twisting the switch upside down, which twists the wires around tightly. These are just temporary fixes and don't always work 100%.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:17 PM
levelabovehuman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photos

So after messing with a multimeter on the switch itself, I can only determine that the plug (pictured) is to blame. Are there any experts who can tell me how to fix that or at least take it apart without breaking it more? Maybe theres a replacement out there somewhere, but I'm not having much luck.

Headlight Plug

Quick Reply: 944 Headlight Switch Issues