Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Driver side door won't lock! Please help I don't know what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 03:29 PM
BettieBlues
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side door won't lock! Please help I don't know what to do!

Well to start things off I have a 1985 Porsche 944. The driver’s side door lock was stuck up and I couldn’t lock it. The tab wouldn’t push down or pull up, it’s almost stuck in between the two. The key won’t do anything either. My Father was inside of it last night and bumped it down somehow and it got stuck on lock! Neither of the two keys we have would open it and the tab was too far down to pull it up with his fingers from the inside so he was trapped. To sum things up, I dug through his tool box and got a pair of pliers so he could pull the tab up and free himself. Now it’s stuck up on unlock like before and won’t budge up or down. What can I do to fix this? I’m new to cars so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 02-12-2006, 04:51 PM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By no means am I an expert...I'm barely a novice at P-car tech but I took both my door panels off this week to find the source of door rattles...I basically just 'dived in' and got at it. (This applies if you have power windows, which I assume you do) Both doors have about 12-14 philips head screws holding the skins on - you'll find them - take them all off remembering exactly which screws are for which part of the door (it does matter) and once the panels off, take a good look at all the bolts holding the door lock mechanism/regulator/etc....on. Some off them get loose or fall off and can create problems, malfunctions and noises. If you can see the source of the lock problem you may be able to fix it yourself. If not, leave the panel off, do a search here more extensively or find a good Porsche tech in your town and bring it in with the panel off and see if he can source the problem. You'll save quite a bit if you do the door re and re attachment yourself.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:37 AM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Maybe the little plastic can that is on the end of the lock cylinder has broken and that is why the key will not lock or unlock the door. Unscrew the "tab" so it rests a little higher than the door skin.

The plastic cams are a left and right part. I just replaced both of them on my 84.

Michael
Old 02-24-2006, 02:40 PM
jtilden
Racer

+1 on the plastic piece...don't be afraid to take your door panel off...you will be suprised at how easy it is to fix most of the problems you are going to run into if you give it a try
Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 AM
924martinirossi
Instructor

The little plastic piece part numbers are:

477.837.505A left
477.837.506A right

Cost me about $3.00 each

Michael

Quick Reply: Driver side door won't lock! Please help I don't know what to do!