944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

86 944 Turbo Calipers into 86 944 na

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
thomakis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 Turbo Calipers into 86 944 na

I am a new porsche owner and also new to this site. Need some advise please.

I have an 86 944na and a 86 944 turbo parts car (no engine, wrecked bodywork). Aquired both as a package from someone who was trying to restore the na. The car is in excellent condition and has has a number of upgrades. 2.8L engine convesion, turbo transmission fitted, larger sway bars(30mm F, 19mm rear), bigger torsion bars (27mm), F coil over kit, 220lb springs), plus al lot of other work, too much to list.

Anyway, the car runs and drives great. What I want to do is salvage as much of the turbo car that I can. Here are my questions:

1. Will the 944 turbo brakes fit my car, or does anyone make a kit for them to fit? I have 15in Fuchs wheels on the na and would like to keep them.

2. Will the lower sill trim fit on my car? Looks like they will but I can see a number of attachment lugs missing. Has anyone done this?

3. What other parts are worth salvaging from the turbo? The front end of the car is wrecked, but everything else looks ok.

Any help appreciated.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:22 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll try to help with a few of your questions as I have done some brake swapping in the past.

Firstly, let me state that if that Turbo trans is in your 944na, you should take it out and put a proper one for it in there. The gearing is all off and too tall for that car, and the accelleration will suffer greatly. Even with added HP of the 2.8na motor it is still not desirable.

OK, onto the brake questions.

1. You won't be able to use the 15" Fuchs over the 951 brakes. You will need 16" early offset 951 wheels. 16" early offset 911 wheels won't work either. The brakes themselves will fit as long as you swap over the 951 struts, spindles, hubs, and rotors to your n/a. The rears are simple as the only thing needed to swap over are the 951 rotors and the 951 calipers, they bolt up to the n/a mounts. Don't forget to re-use the washers/spacers that are used for mounting the calipers on the rear, otherwise the rotor will not be centrally located in the caliper opening. You will see what I mean.

2. The lower trims will fit, the studs are already there on your 86. You will probably need to order a new set of the plastic nuts to attache them.

3. The rear 951 underspoiler is a good upgrade for the n/a, you already have the lower rear mount holes on your car, just need to drill the side ones (2 each side) in the rear quarter panels near the top of the rubber stone-gaurd line.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:23 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Oh, and welcome to Rennlist!
Old 12-15-2005, 11:13 AM
thomakis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise and the welcome.

I shall attempt to do the rear brake swap first as this seems straightforward. Just looked and the rear rotors on the turbo and they look almost new, they also have stainless steel (goodridge I think) hoses running to each caliper. Calipers could do with painting as they are flaking. Can you get caliper rebuild kits for these, seals etc? It might be worth doing it right the first time. I presume that i shall have to replace the caliper bolts too.

The fronts shall have to wait. The na has the coil-over kit with koni inserts and I would like to keep these.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:54 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

You can get rebuild kits for the calipers that include the seals, etc. I believe www.paragon-products.com sells them.

One other word of advice. I wouldn't recommend just swapping the rear brakes and driving around with 4 piston calipers on the rear and single piston N/A calipers on the front. That sounds like disaster in the making. You would want to do the entire swap on both ends of the car at the same time.

Quick Reply: 86 944 Turbo Calipers into 86 944 na