Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

my 944 gears won't engage. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 12:18 AM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy my 944 gears won't engage. (pics)

hello,

i'm new to the site but have looked on at other postings and have found this site to be helpful. i'm hoping that i can get some of the same help with a problem i am having. i recently bought an '87 944 na and drove over 220miles to my home but experienced some problems at the end of my trip that ultimately rendered the vehicle undriveable. the car was sitting idle for at least 3months prior to this drive.

my car starts fine but when trying to change gears, i simply can't, instead i get a grinding sound, regardless of which gear i try to engage. in my last maneuver to park i had to turn the motor off, engage the gear, while of course keeping the clutch engaged, then start. however after starting but before letting up on the clutch, the car started moving on its own. so it seems like the clutch is not working at all.

a friend of mine who's has and worked with 944's looked at the car and he too could not determine what was wrong. i'll say this, the master/slave cylinders seems fine, when the clutch is pressed, there is about 20mm of movement on the yoke, movement on the clutch bearing and we can see the fingers of the plate flex, so it seems that the cylinders are working and moving all that it should, but of course still no gear action. we've opened the transmission oil fill plug and found what you see in the pics in the transmission and it puzzles us. what in the world is this and does anyone have an idea of what is the problem?
this is a project we're trying to work on tomorrow, so any help would be appreciated. thank you.

nffn
Attached Images     

Last edited by NineFourFourNeophyte; 11-20-2005 at 12:34 AM. Reason: i'm trying to post pics.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:06 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like your clutch is not disengageing. It also looks like you have water in your oil.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:46 AM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

Daniel,

yep, when the thing is running, gears can't disengage. we did suspect it to be water, but we don't see any obvious inlets for water, is this just through condensation of some type?
what we want to try is flushing with oil and then refilling with swepco.
what do you think?

thanks.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:36 PM
944kid
Banned

Friend had the same problem on his Prelude. Slave cylinder needed to be bled.(or replaced, this was a while ago, so I'm sorry, I forgot.)One of those fixed it. I am not sure why the oil (say: oel) is yellow. Dan says water, I'd tend to belive him.

-the kid
Old 11-21-2005, 03:35 PM
NineFourFourNeophyte
Advanced

followup- well the transmission was flushed a couple times but it didn’t help completely, flushing still had this foamy type mixture, we flushed by filling, then starting the motor and draining and doing it again.

While the car was on stands, we started the motor and tried changing gears, simulating a quick trip around the block, after all flushing all gears were changing with the motor running, but draining still showed foamy type oil.

So the gears can change while the motor is running but it still seems that the gears do not disengage when the clutch is pressed, why? This is because while the motor was running and a gear is selected, pressing in the clutch and pressing down the brake, to simulate a case of stopping in traffic, it stalled the car as if the clutch is not being pressed at all.
We compared the movement of the master / slave cylinder on a 944turbo and saw what seemed to be the same amount of travel on the rod, making us think that all what we see is normal. So at this point though I fear it, it seems like I have a clutch disc or pressure plate problem.
Has anyone else experienced this or may have an idea of what else may be problem?

Thanks,
nffn.

Quick Reply: my 944 gears won't engage. (pics)