early 85 headlight issue...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 02:31 PM
tcross2k2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question early 85 headlight issue...

greetings. heres the situation with my early 85 na:

with the car running, i toggle the headlight switch on the dash to turn on the head lights. the headlights pop up and the parking lights and side markers come on, but the lowbeam lights do not come on. when i toggle the dimmer switch on the column the hight beams to not stay on. effectively im only able to "flash my high beams" the highbeams and the highbeam indicator come on while i hold the dimmer switch in the pulled back position. when i let go of the dimmer switch the highbeams go off when i let go of the dimmer switch.

ive tested both sets of fuses for the high and low beams (fuses 1-4), ive replaced both headlamps, ive inspected the wiring to each headlamp.

im at a loss. nothing seems to get the lows to come on.

there is a feature with these cars that when the engine is shut off when the lights are left on, the lights stay in the upright position but the head lamps run off and the parking lights stay on...

does anyone know what switch/sensor/fuse/relay controls that feature?

any input is much appreciated.

-tim
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have the same problem !!! someone help !!! :/
Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be willing to bet your the connections in your signal stalk are corroded or just not making a connection for some reason...

I had an issue last year: I would be Driving at night with my headlights on, and I would use my turn signal then all of a sudden my Headlights would not work... If i messed with the stalk i could get them back on, but if i hit a bump they would go off again... I ended up driving several times just holding the High Beams with my hand, Ha ha...

Long Story Short:

I replaced the stalk with a used one from a parts car, and no more problems... Search for a parts car in your area; or check ebay. It's a whole unit (High Beams, Turn Signal, Cruise Control, Washers, Wipers....)

PORSCHE 944 TURN SIGNAL SWITCH

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1705793...=263602_309572
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

Oh snap ! I got a spare of those at home Gonna try that when I come home. Have starded 2 cut of all the isolation around the wires 2 find the bad one tho Hehehe..... Hope I get it now Will let you know
Old 03-11-2011, 01:16 PM
FabilichuS
Racer

Tried it but it didn't work :/ looks like im gonna go the hard way, taking out all plugs and cleaing them/new plugs.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blast, that sucks... Time to start tracing wires i guess...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM
homerj
Rennlist Member

AnybOdy figure out what it was. I've seen 4 threads but nobody comes back and says what they found

Quick Reply: early 85 headlight issue...