944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

83 944 Clock/Oil Gauge Access

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 03:58 PM
The3Bs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 944 Clock/Oil Gauge Access

Having serviced the clock and oil gauges on my 1983 944 several times over the years, then forgotten and had to re-discover how to gain access to them, I'm posting this thread to myself so I can look it up the next time. If there's a more accurate/concise/tricky way to do it, I'd be pleased to learn.

To access the clock/oil gauge/lighter cluster in a 1983 944:

0) Disconnect the battery at the ground side, unless you want to replace fuses later.

1) Remove the heater control levers (3). They just finger pull out with a firm, straight motion. You don't have to worry about orientation, they locate easily when you put them back in.

2) Remove the heater fan **** with a gentle finger pull straight out .

3) Loosen (only) two screws underneath the heater fascia. If these screws were in my car (they're missing) they're likely hard to get to. It looks like you'd need a miniature, right angle Phillips head. They ride in grooves, not holes, so only need to be loosened.

4) Remove the heater fascia plate by pulling out from the bottom and rotating the top about two plastic pins that go into the instrument cluster at the top.

5) Remove two screws at the top left and right corners of the instrument cluster panel.

6) Remove two screws at the bottom lower left and right of the panel. These screws are covered by the heater fascia.

7) To the left and right of the lighter, there are two latches underneath the panel. Push up on these latches while puliing out on the top of the panel and Voila! the panel comes out, exposing all of the connections, light bulbs, etc. for the gauges.

8) Installation is the reverse.

Quick Reply: 83 944 Clock/Oil Gauge Access