Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Supercharged 1986 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:15 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many are asking how things are going, things are going well. Last week I got the car plated and back on the road, the car needed an emission test and I haven’t had time to get it tuned to pass, the car is now exempt. I have done a few things over the past months, I had a real problem with belt slippage, when I hit high rpm’s the car wouldn’t perform well so I decided to build and install an idler pulley, this allows the belt to cover around 75% of the SC pulley. I have also got rid to the Begi FPR and went with a 944 Turbo adjustable FPR, it looks and works much better. I had the car out yesterday and all I can say is the car is fast, I had my 9 year old son’s head spinning when I got home. The real power is above 3k, the car is not much faster low down but once the Paxton spins up the car really moves, I can easily hit my 6K rev limit (MSD 6AL) through 1st,2nd and 3rd, I haven’t found enough road to do that in fourth. Currently the Paxton only produces around 5 psi, to be honest when traveling at a high rate of speed I forget to look at my boost gauge. I think I get around 5 psi because the intercooler looses a few lb’s, I also have the Paxton shimmed very lightly so the motor doesn’t have to work to hard to turn it, the ball drive may also slip at high rpm’s. I need to have a serious tuning session, I’m running a half decent map on the Mafterburner but I’m sure I can tweak it to provide more power. I must say the combination of Magnaflow muffler with MSD headers works well with the SC, the motor really breathes well at high rpm, and this combination really sounds aggressive when under load.

Many have asked for a write up but I have explained much of what I have done on this forum, its really not that difficult, If I had the time and another car I would produce a kit like Huntley’s using the M90, the M90 produces much more low down power and torque but I don’t think it can beat a Paxton high up.

Last edited by pormgb; 12-27-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

did u get a chip yet. the 944max is coming out soon. is there another forum u go to?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:08 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pormgb
Many are asking how things are going, things are going well. Last week I got the car plated and back on the road, the car needed an emission test and I haven’t had time to get it tuned to pass, the car is now exempt. I have done a few things over the past months, I had a real problem with belt slippage, when I hit high rpm’s the car wouldn’t perform well so I decided to build and install an idler pulley, this allows the belt to cover around 75% of the SC pulley. I have also got rid to the Begi FPR and went with a 944 Turbo adjustable FPR, it looks and works much better. I had the car out yesterday and all I can say is the car is fast, I had my 9 year old son’s head spinning when I got home. The real power is above 3k, the car is not much faster low down but once the Paxton spins up the car really moves, I can easily hit my 6K rev limit (MSD 6AL) through 1st,2nd and 3rd, I haven’t found enough road to do that in fourth. Currently the Paxton only produces around 5 psi, to be honest when traveling at a high rate of speed I forget to look at my boost gauge. I think I get around 5 psi because the intercooler looses a few lb’s, I also have the Paxton shimmed very lightly so the motor doesn’t have to work to hard to turn it, the ball drive may also slip at high rpm’s. I need to have a serious tuning session, I’m running a half decent map on the Mafterburner but I’m sure I can tweak it to provide more power. I must say the combination of Magnaflow muffler with MSD headers works well with the SC, the motor really breathes well at high rpm, and this combination really sounds aggressive when under load.

Many have asked for a write up but I have explained much of what I have done on this forum, its really not that difficult, If I had the time and another car I would produce a kit like Huntley’s using the M90, the M90 produces much more low down power and torque but I don’t think it can beat a Paxton high up.
Its been very interesting reading your approach to a similar dilema. Its also interesting that you'd go with the M90 setup. I'm currently seeking a cooler intake charge, and if I was to do this from scratch, I'd go with a Whipple, or Autorotor, through a low profile Air-to-Water intercooler. Right now I'm looking at getting a water injection setup from www.alcohol-injection.com That should allow more timing, or a smaller pulley. maybe I should put this in my own thread.

Anyway, congratulations on a job well done. perhaps we'll see a smaller pulley in your future
Old 11-28-2006, 07:25 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Bleucamaro

How about some pics, I'd love to do a SC but here in SA one can not delete the a/c if you want to use the car in summer.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Hi Bleucamaro

How about some pics, I'd love to do a SC but here in SA one can not delete the a/c if you want to use the car in summer.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/284300-s2-supercharger-install.html
You can see the general concept fairly easily as the blower is essentially mounted inverted with the discharge going up into the manifold. There is about an inch of clearance below the blower, and above the manifold. I've seen a pic of a similar Huntley setup using a strut tower bar. This means with a Whipple supercharger (twinscrew -- more adiabatic efficiency + benefit of positive displacement) A low profile A/W intercooler can be used with a custom sheetmetal manifold, that anyone with some aluminum welding experiance can fabricate. The M90 setup is good, but I'm having to pull alot of timing because of the temp increase.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 PM
pormgb
Racer

I second your comments about intake manifold fabrication. I actually went out and bought some aluminum and was going to attempt to fabricate my own M90 mountable intake, I just couldn’t get a hold of some decent aluminum welding gear. Huntley’s intake manifold is quite simple and I’m surprised someone hasn’t continued to make them; once the intake manifold is made the rest is quite easy.

On you M90 installation how does the ICV get plumbed? I’m having some real issues running an air filter. When I have an air filter installed my car really hesitates, initially I thought it was a problem with air flow but I think it may be something to do with the ICV, may be its seeing too much vacuum once the intake is closed up.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by pormgb
I second your comments about intake manifold fabrication. I actually went out and bought some aluminum and was going to attempt to fabricate my own M90 mountable intake, I just couldn’t get a hold of some decent aluminum welding gear. Huntley’s intake manifold is quite simple and I’m surprised someone hasn’t continued to make them; once the intake manifold is made the rest is quite easy.

On you M90 installation how does the ICV get plumbed? I’m having some real issues running an air filter. When I have an air filter installed my car really hesitates, initially I thought it was a problem with air flow but I think it may be something to do with the ICV, may be its seeing too much vacuum once the intake is closed up.

Correct, their manifold is quite simple, and is basically a giant CNC milled plate with a hole in the bottom for the blower, and the runners come off of a bolt on flange. with a lid that bolts on to the top.

My Idle Control Valve (ICV) comes from a port on the bottom of the manifold between the blower inlet port and the intake runners. There is a NPT threaded hole that a piece of brass/ copper pipe is threaded in to, with a 90* coupler (machined, not a piece of pipe) and a short tubing section connected to a short rubber hose. The ICV mounts to the bottom of the manifold. From the valve, there is a rubber hose that is plumbed to the intake tube in front of the throttle body. The original location is a nipple on the thottle, and that has been capped. I actually think I have my ICV in backwards which may be a cause of a boost leak (pulley was calculated to 5psi, but only seeing 3.5-4psi). I am interested to see if the turbo ICV uses a different part number, or if it is the same. Also interested to see how its routed.

When I had the stock ICV off the car, it looked to be just an electronically controlled ball valve, and I didn't really think much about it, other than how to get it to fit.

On your setup, what type of air filter are you using? If it is the stock paper filter, in the stock location, that may be the cause of your problem, I'd recomend looking at a K&N replacement, or higher flowing cone filter with a fabbed sheetmetal heatshield to try to draw air from the nose or fenderwell.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:40 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Correct, their manifold is quite simple, and is basically a giant CNC milled plate with a hole in the bottom for the blower, and the runners come off of a bolt on flange. with a lid that bolts on to the top.

My Idle Control Valve (ICV) comes from a port on the bottom of the manifold between the blower inlet port and the intake runners. There is a NPT threaded hole that a piece of brass/ copper pipe is threaded in to, with a 90* coupler (machined, not a piece of pipe) and a short tubing section connected to a short rubber hose. The ICV mounts to the bottom of the manifold. From the valve, there is a rubber hose that is plumbed to the intake tube in front of the throttle body. The original location is a nipple on the thottle, and that has been capped. I actually think I have my ICV in backwards which may be a cause of a boost leak (pulley was calculated to 5psi, but only seeing 3.5-4psi). I am interested to see if the turbo ICV uses a different part number, or if it is the same. Also interested to see how its routed.

When I had the stock ICV off the car, it looked to be just an electronically controlled ball valve, and I didn't really think much about it, other than how to get it to fit.

On your setup, what type of air filter are you using? If it is the stock paper filter, in the stock location, that may be the cause of your problem, I'd recomend looking at a K&N replacement, or higher flowing cone filter with a fabbed sheetmetal heatshield to try to draw air from the nose or fenderwell.
Thanks for this information, ill try relocating my ICV hoses to if things are ok with a filter.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 1986 944 NA