Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

n/a 944 brake pad recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:12 PM
jpmontoya2006
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question n/a 944 brake pad recommendations?

I'm trying to find the best kind of brake pads to put on my 88 944. I drive the car for leisure and recently joined the PCA NY metro. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have done some researching myself, but so far have been unable to find any ceramic pads for the n/a 944. The best pads I could find at an auto store was Hawk HP pads. I am looking to do autocrosses, track events and everyday driving, any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:18 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jpmontoya2006
I'm trying to find the best kind of brake pads to put on my 88 944. I drive the car for leisure and recently joined the PCA NY metro. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have done some researching myself, but so far have been unable to find any ceramic pads for the n/a 944. The best pads I could find at an auto store was Hawk HP pads. I am looking to do autocrosses, track events and everyday driving, any suggestions?
There is no one-type-fits-all answer here, as each pad compound is engineered to work within its design limits.
The honest answer is probably to get different pads for street / auto-x and for DE / racing and swap them as needed (it's quick & easy ;-)

Having said that, I'm enjoying my PBR MetalMasters for spirited street use.
Brian
Old 08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
jim3
Instructor

I've used Performance Friction racing pads for street, DE and club racing with great success. I use the 90's available from OG racing. Call them to get their latest recommendation for which pad formula to use. But get a racing pad. They don't squeal on the street either. make sure you replace fronts and rears together with the same spec pads. You'll also want to replace with a 600 degree brake fluid and dot aeroquip brake lines if you're serious about De at tracks like the Glen.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

jpmontoya2006, i am part of the Metro-NY PCA also. Will you be at the autocross this coming sunday (the 7th) at Nassau Collesium? I am in a red '87 944 NA with D90's and a turbo rear valance, dont be a stranger now .

I have heard very good things about the Hawk HPS Street pads, no personal experience though. Will be buying a set once i get paid next week. Im curious, where in the Long Island area where you able to find those pads?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Marcesq
Intermediate

FWIW PBR makes a ceramic pad that is available for N/A 944s.

Hawk HPs are great pads for green group speeds. After that they wear very quickly.

Tire Rack sells Hawk pads and you get them in a couple of days.

PS: I just purchased an '89 944 so I'm lurking and learning.

Quick Reply: n/a 944 brake pad recommendations?