944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Materials used in 944 gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 02:06 PM
944 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Materials used in 944 gearbox?

Our 944 gearbox died a few months back. It lost a tooth or 2 on the 2nd input gear, hence requiring a whole new input shaft + new 1st and 2nd gear on the output shaft + a good rebuild.
Anyways, I found a 2nd hand box and installed that one instead.
Since bombed tranny parts and housings aren't doing too good in the 2nd hand market I decided I'd turn it into a table.
See the following link for the whole story (and pics) as it develops:
http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14521

Anyways: after I got the whole thing sandblasted the steel gear housing rusted (duh) and I painted it black as soon as I got the chance. But this, and todays rigorous cleaning of the aluminium housings got me thinking: what other parts are steel/iron?
I know for one that the input shaft is since the shaft on the 2nd gearbox required some mild sanding of the splines.
The gearhousing obviously too.
Otherwise, save for some bolts that got sandblasted along, I haven't seen anymore rust. Not on the bearing surfaces, bearings, or gears.
What other parts need a coating to prevent rust and what would you recommend? Please note that I want to maintain full functionality of the gearbox (it actually still works!), I might even use the reverse gear switch to trigger a light.
Please consider all parts: selector rods/forks, shifting locks (all the little parts to prevent 2 gears from engaging simultaneously) synchro's (brass or something, but the other related parts?), bearings and bearing races, gears, shafts, differential (all gears, the frame), and finally the output shafts (I think these are steel, correct?).
Obviously, since I want to maintain functionality I'll have to use some sort of oil on the moving parts. What would you recommend? I was thinking of packing the bearings with some all purpose grease, and using a thin coat of oil or maybe silicone spray on the gears, if they corrode. Are these good idea's or not?
And how hard would this be to clean in the future? If you checked the other link you'll notice I plan on cutting some holes in the housings to show the guts of the gearbox. Dust will obviously find its way in there. If I would use oil or something it would simply stick in the oil and in a year I'd have a disgusting slop that would require me to take the whole thing apart again to clean.
Thnx in advance for the help.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:01 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

coat everything in oil. Engine oil or gear oil. Make it is film coating. The other thing you can do is large bucket or tub and leve them bathed in oil.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:43 PM
944 guy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing some thinking, and coating them in oil is a bad idea because once it gets dusty, you can degrease the whole thing again giving me a day's work (remember, I want to open up the housings)
I was now thinking of making some clear plastic covers to the holes. It's not my favorite solution but it will allow me to degrease everything and keep it clean.
I could risk degreasing and not using covers, but I don't want all the parts to be covered in a fine layer of rust in 2 years. A dude from flat6 claims he has a gear as a paperweight that hasn't really rusted in 20 years, but I was doing some corrosion tests and I managed to get some fine rust in only 2 days. I degreased a small piece and whenever I walked by I rubbed it and breathed on it (heat and moisture kills...). That's obviously more than your avg living room conditions but enough to worry me about the future.

Quick Reply: Materials used in 944 gearbox?