944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

S2 sway bar bushings front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question S2 sway bar bushings front end clunk

I have read a forum on front end clunk but I am unsure of my problem. I have just recently developed a front end clunk and I think it may be my sway bar bushings it seems to clunk from the drivers side when I go over dips not bumps and when I look under the car the driver side bushing looks like it is cracked and fairly old and the passenger side looks like the oil presure sending unit has leaked on it and from what I have read leaks on bushings is not good.Could this be where my clunk is coming from and if so what kind of costs should I be looking at I see the bushings are rather cheap about $20 I have not found a good mechanic yet so I will be taking it to a shop that seems to know whats going on I just want to know how long a job this should be.The control arms and ball joints were replace 4,000 miles ago and I just replace motor mounts if that helps. Any advice would be much appreciated !!! I just did some more reading it seems it may be fairly easy to replace the bushing myself if there are any links to the steps that would be great or just explain I went to Clarks they give instructions for removing the bar .Thank You

Last edited by rmdsolutions; 06-08-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:17 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well..........a shot bushing would have metal-to-metal contact....it could be the reason why you have that sound.

But, the most common source of clunk-ing is generally the ball joints/tie rods........have them checked as well!!

Quick Reply: S2 sway bar bushings front end clunk