KLA Subwoofer Plans/Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KLA Subwoofer Plans/Pictures

Hey guys. its Mike's brother Keith.. who recently purchased a 924s =D

Im looking to put a new sound system in it, since all the old speakers/original bluaplankt radio is shot. I want to put a pair of sub's in the back, hidden so i dont have a huge box showing under my hatch. I also cant bring myself to wip out the card for 2 pairs of 120 dollar peices of plywood.
I am looking into crafting these boxes on my own, and would greatly appreciate if any one could supply me with the plans, the dimensions, or just pictures of the product from differnt angles, since i am not able to find pictures of it on the internet, or using he rennlist shirt.
Also, i noticed that KLA uses MDF for there boxes. Is this better for sub woofer boxes? or would it be better to use plywood? Any tips or anything for this project i am about to undergo would be greatly appreciated, and i will post the pics as soon as i am done making them..

Have a good one guys,
Keith
Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

having been there and done that, just buy the KLA box. Trying to fab it up on your own is false economy, as you would earn more money working that time at minimum wage and buying the box than building it yourself.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:23 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Mike: I've built a box and plan to post a Noddy guide with pictures and measurements when done. It took me less thatn a weekend to put together. I just haven't fitted it yet and I'm stuggleing to find an amp small enough to fit somewhere in the car.

Down here, we don't get the KLA box and I've asked around, and nobody bothered to keep track of the custom jobs purely because its PITA to get a box to fit and last thing on your mind is pictures and stuff.

Teaser :
It's made to fit in the rear right cubby (facing car from rear)
It's made from MDF
It's made for an 8" sub
It's made to fit under the flap (can't bare to cut the flap off)

Give me a few days to get my guide together.....
Old 05-25-2005, 06:37 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Mike... have a look on the main 944 forum... just posted some preliminary stuff....
Old 05-29-2005, 01:20 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

The 944 (s2) has the perfect bass enclosure. I have two Eclipse 10" mounted on a MDF board that fits snuggly around the spare tire well. Use DAP tub and tile caulk to seal the board. Inside you coat it with Dynamat and you're good to go. Really not that scientific. My only worry is the hatch seal and hatch - 'cause that's alot of basss at 400W.

All in all, less than a 4 hour project and cost of materials maybe $200 max.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:34 AM
Mike951
Drifting

Originally Posted by David Ray
The 944 (s2) has the perfect bass enclosure. I have two Eclipse 10" mounted on a MDF board that fits snuggly around the spare tire well. Use DAP tub and tile caulk to seal the board. Inside you coat it with Dynamat and you're good to go. Really not that scientific. My only worry is the hatch seal and hatch - 'cause that's alot of basss at 400W.

All in all, less than a 4 hour project and cost of materials maybe $200 max.
Are the rear chubby's in a 924S the same size as a 944s2? is so i could probably just do that and save myself alot of time and money. How does it sound? no funny vibrations or anything?

-keith
Old 06-01-2005, 12:37 AM
Mike951
Drifting

bump

Quick Reply: KLA Subwoofer Plans/Pictures