944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 PM
rmdsolutions
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Octane Booster

I have a S2 and I have an AutoAuthority chip and a magnaflow stainless cat-back exhaust and I have also put a K&N filter in the stock air box that I drilled about 20 holes in for more air flow.My question is the chip recomends 92 + octane but in Phoenix the highest is 91 will octane booster help my cause or is it just a scam ? I have tried in one tank don't know if I could tell a difference.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:49 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those little cans don't raise your octane much. Like whatever they claim in point raising is actually only a tenth of a point - you will go broke adding enough of that snake oil to notice anything.

Go here: http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/ and click on F1 Rocket Fuel and you can read up on adding toluene to your gas to increase the octane on a fairly reasonable cost basis.

For a NA S2 motor, I wonder if you really need 92 octane especially since you are in Phoenix which is around 1100 feet elevation.

Anyway, if you are getting knock experiment with the toluene. You can buy it at paint stores in gallon or 5 gallon jugs or a chemical supply place if you are going to go crazy and get it in 55 gallon drums.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:04 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a S2 (with a little extras) in Sunny SoCal with 91 - no probelm! Even at the big tracks I run pump gas. However, if you're looking for a boost try toluene or Machtane.

Quick Reply: Octane Booster