Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Cooling fan probs

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005 | 04:21 PM
RaymonEbbs
Track Day

Default Cooling fan probs

OK about a month ago my cooling fan relay went out,.... so i took it out untill i could aford to buy a new one. i drove my car for about a month w/out it only to like work and for errands no more than like 15 min drives at a time. n/e ways i got the new relay for it and put it in and now the fans turn on when i first start the car and dont turn off untill i turn the car off. why would it do that. cause it didnt do that before. if n/e one could direct me in the right direction that would be great. thanks alot.
Old 04-19-2005 | 06:17 PM
JimVT
Intermediate

It sounds like the Themor Fan Switch in the radiator is stuck on. http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq07.html

Here is a link that talks about it. Scroll down to item 7.6

Basically your thermo sensor is on and it is telling the relay to run the fan all the time. Thes sensors are supposed to have 2 temp settings. 1 to turn it on when the fluid in th radiator reaches a high temperature, and 1 to turn it off after the fan and or driving has cooled it down.

This part broke on my car two years ago and mine would run all the time until the battery was dead. I had to remove the relay whenever I parked the car until I replaced the sensor switch.

You will find the sensor on the drivers side of the radiator about a few inches down from the top. It is tucked in there but not to hard to replace. I think it only cost me $25, but remember to get a new gasket with it as well.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 04-20-2005 | 01:57 AM
RaymonEbbs
Track Day

Wow, sounds pretty easy to fix, thanks alot
Old 04-20-2005 | 08:43 AM
sca037
Rennlist Member

There's a nice procedure for this on the CLARK'S GARAGE website.

It's a fairly easy swap, but it can be a tedious time getting the system re-bled.
Brian

Quick Reply: Cooling fan probs