Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Drifting STi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member

Hello Everyone, I am new to Rennlist. I just purchased a 1985 944 from one of your members, FTY.
I have a couple of tec questions for you.

The oil pan seal is leaking. How hard is it to change? Any tips to make the repair trouble free?

The rack and pinion is making that whining noise. Is it difficult to rebuild myself?

The speedometer does not work. Where do I begin to trouble shoot?

Thanx
Paul
Old 03-24-2005, 10:16 PM
livewirevoodoo
Instructor

For the rack n pinion, I'd first try replacing the fluid and bleeding any air out of the system (turn wheel from end to end a good 10x).. Couldnt add any insight into a rebuild tho - have never attempted myself.

Speedo, or odometer? ( just to clarify )... Odometer is a $30 plastic gear usually. For speedo, hmmm, is that an early '85 or an 85.5?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Drifting STi
Instructor

The car is an early 85, its both the speedo and odometer. Thanx voodoo
Old 03-25-2005, 12:20 AM
livewirevoodoo
Instructor

The odometer is 9 times outta 10 that $30 plastic gear that deteriorated and cracked at some point. I forget the site where I ordered mine from... KLH Industries or something. A quick google search will turn up a few sellers. I believe the instructions for replacement are posted here on rennlist even.

As far as the speedo goes, that i cant answer. Not familiar with early 944s, and i believe the speedo mechanism is different from early to late. Since both arent working, i'd check the simplest thing first. Grounds, wiring, etc.. I'd pull the guage cluster to verify the odometer gear needs replacement, and verify wiring is connected, etc..

http://clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-06.htm - Early 944 Guage Removal Instructions

Quick Reply: New Member