944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

HELP! Power steering fluid drained

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 10:16 PM
HOT-SHU (a.k.a. Wes Shew)
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Power steering fluid drained

Hi guys, my 1991 944 S2 power steering went away tonite while driving. Checked the p.s. reservoir & it's empty. I just topped it up a month ago. I'm guessing I broke a hose? Anyways I'm still on the road & it drives normal except for parking effort. Will I create any damage by driving without ATF in the reservoir? I'd like to drive home & crawl under the car in my driveway & see what's up & attempt a DIY fix on monday. But it's below freezing & snowing right now. Or do I need to have it towed to a shop asap? I'm at my brother's house for dinner now & will check back here shortly for responses. Thanx! Wes
Old 01-09-2005, 01:19 AM
924martinirossi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the belt off and drive it home. I even done an Autocross without the belt. Just hope is is not the seals on the rack. That could get expensive.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, for the short term, fill the system up a bit, so the rack is properly lubricated, and pull the belt from the PS pump. It will take some extra effort, but it will save you from further damage. I just drove a 951 across the country like that.

Quick Reply: HELP! Power steering fluid drained