944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:48 PM
maelune
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 944 Tuneup

So I am thinking about buying a beautiful 1987 944. it just came back from the mechanic who said it needs the following:

new rear brakes
tuneup
new plugs and wires
it has a small crack in the exhaust pipe
new shocks

It also on occasion makes a weird whining noise that the mechanic said could be attributed to the vaccuum line.

Just checking, but these things shouldn't be a deal breaker, right? About how much would these repairs run? Could any of them be done by me (or more accurately- my husband?)

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Plugs and wires are easy to do. You can buy the plugs you need (Bosch WR7DC) at just about any auto store. They may need to special order however so order in advance. Ignition wires will likley need to be ordered too, you can pick up quality replacements for a good price over at ParagonProducts.Com . All you really need is a spark plug wrench, which may be included with the car if the tool kit is still in the cubby holes in the back.

Plugs are about $4 each and the ignition wires will probably cost in the area of $150 depeneding on what you go with.

Rear brakes...did the mechanic say if it just needs pads or rotors? Pads are also fairly easy to do, though rotors are a little bit of a more labor intense job (but still very do-able with the right tools by fairly compentent person).

Shocks...again, this can be done by a mechanically inclined person, but you will need more specialized tools. Such as spring compressors...etc. You can usually rent or borrow these from some auto stores. You will likley also need an alighment done afterwards.

When he says tune up, do you know what he means by this? Oil change, airfilter change...etc? A tune up on these cars should include changing the air filter, changing sparkplugs and ignition wires (if needed), checking condition of the ignition rotor and distrubutor cap and replacing if they need to be done. All of these things are very easy to do with just basic tools and maybe 2-3 hours of work.

Im not 100% sure about the other things listed, so i wont speculate on those. Im sure the crack in the exhaust pipe can be fixed by any muffler shop for a reasonable cost (likley less than $100).

None of the things listed are really deal breakers. Do you have any information about the last time the timing belt, balance belt and waterpump were changed? These are fairly important items on the 944 which need to be changed in 3 year or every 35-40k miles. A broken timing belt can cause major valve and head damage leading to an expensive repair bill. A broken balance belt will likely damage the timing belt enough causing it to break. Typically all parts for a timing belt job will cost in the area of $400-600 depending on whether you decide to replace all the rollers, seals...etc. This can be a deal breaker. Again, changing the belts, waterpump..etc is fairly straight foward with alot of guides on how to do it. A fairly mechanically inclined person should be able to do it in a weekend or two.

Second, please inform us of where you are located. If you ever need any serious help with these cars, its very likley someone from the forums lives within a reasonable distance and is willing to help. One of the perks of ownership .

Also Clarks-Garage.Com is a incredible source of technical writeups and information for the 944 series cars. You will often find most of the issue you have with your car are covered on this great site.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
maelune
Intermediate

The waterpump and timing belt were replaced less than 1k miles ago.

I guess my main concern is the loud, high pitched whining sound that it makes inconsistently. When it makes the noise it even does it in idle- but it is not a constant problem. The current owner took the car out and drove it for 2 hours trying to get it to make the noise- no luck. It also didn't make it at the mechanic's...stubborn thing. If anyone else has had this problem, I would love some ideas as to what it could be. I don't think its the timing belt since it was changed with the help of a tensioner. The mechanic thinks it could be the vacuum line, although I don't know if that was just a guess. Which brings me to ask: what is involved with that repair??

All the owner told me about the rear brakes is that they need to be replaced. I checked out some threads that mention the rarity of changing the rear brakes so the best that I can figure is that they have never been replaced. The car has 148k miles on the odometer so your basic maintenance repairs will be coming up at 150k, which I am fine with.

As far as what is involved with the tuneup- I guess everything that can be done should be done, since I really don't like leaving anything to chance.

So I guess what I am looking at is a weekend of sprucing up...which doesn't sound bad at all.

maelune
Los Angeles
Old 01-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think for even a slightly mechanically inclined person, this should be possible in a weekend.
The rear brake pads seem to go forever, I think this is due to the brake proportioning valve, it gives too much to the front brakes if you ask me.

If there is no pedal pulsation, or vibration, I would presume that the PO is referring to replacing the pads, which takes about 2 minutes per side, unless they're really stuck in there.

The high pitched whine could be too many things, I don't want to start making guesses at what it could be.

If it's a vacuum line, it may entail removal of the intake manifold, which also means, removal of the fuel rail, and some other small associated stuff. If you're not too handy with cars, this could take a couple hours to get apart and back together.

Well, for the tune-up, I would say:
Air filter
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Fuel filter
Oil change + lube
Distributor cap and rotor

That's all I'm thinking of right now, but I may have missed something obvious.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:01 PM
scottishmaximus
Track Day

Were the idlers replaced with the timing belt? My timing belt made some noise and i heard it slapping the plastic cover. I never thought it sounded like a vacuum leak, but it made a noise inconsistently. Just remembered; after i replaced mine, the belt whined a little. Reminded me of a turbo. Good luck with it. Use the site.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:10 AM
Melchior
Pro

Don't forget to change the Transmission Fluid. This always seems to be overlooked until the gearbox starts to eat itself.

The whinning could be something very easy like the bubber boot between the Air Fuel Meter and the Throttle Body Housing being loose or cracked. Also check that the gasket between the Intake Manifold and the Cylinder Head doesn't have any holes.

For any part schematics of the car, use the website from AutoAtlanta. They have a good Hard Parts section and you can even order their parts magazine for free in case you ever need a diagram or part number.

Quick Reply: 944 Tuneup