944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 runs/revs fine but won't move?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 10:21 PM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC 944S
It's most likely the clutch. I just had the same problem with my '87 944S. The factory clutch has a rubber piece that connects the disc to the center piece. It does have a backup catch for a "limp home run", but this doesn't last long. In my case, the center splined piece had just seperated from the rubber, so it was just spinning freely. There were no rubber pieces.

i didnt check for the rubber peices but i jacked the car up and i reaches in the hole in the bottom of the gearbox where you can see the driveshaft and with the clutch out i could not turn it and with it in i could ???????
Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Ice Rado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
To rule out the trans, you could jack the car up and drain the transaxle fluid. Look for metal shards/chunks. If it is the trans, usually it makes a fairly horrific noise when it goes and sounds bad (grinds and clunks) when you try to drive the car.

The fact that you could turn the wheels easily while it is in gear makes me wonder...........

dont you think it could still be the linkage b/c i can go through all the gears but they feel silid when the car is off but maybe someting poped out of place in the linkage that continues on into the gearbox??? im oging to pull it next week to check it sucks cuz i have to werk around school witch is lame!!! but hopefully i can figure it out i still have my permit so i wanna get it fixed asap.......

Quick Reply: 944 runs/revs fine but won't move?