Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

I will pay someone to help me put my motor in my 944 (MA, NH area)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric,

I can do it BUT there is a scheduling issue.

I am in the process of completing the motor install in my 924s. I just put the motor in today. When I say it is in it only has the cross member installed the motor mounts bolted up and the torque tube is in place but I have not put the bolts in place. I may be a little slow but this is after all a track car and I want it to be proper. I started Today with the motor on the engine stand at 10:00 am and had the motor in the car as noted above by 3:00. I was working alone so pushing the motor back under the car was a whole lot of fun. I have to complete the install this coming weekend. I should have it driving by next Sunday. I am going to vagus on the 4th back on the 10th that leaves the weekend of the 13th /14th. I will be going to Summit Point West VA for a 4 hour race the weekend after that. Will this work for you? Another thing putting the motor in only and getting it bolted up to the torque tube and the cross member in is a 2-3 hour job shorter if you have two people. Most of this will be spent man handling the motor into place for hoisting and getting the hoisting point correct on the motor so the torque tube will line up and you don't put allot of strain on the drive line during the install

Couple of things.

Here is a link to my web page showing where I was yesterday. I have more photos that I will be posting later tonight showing the motor in place. http://www.marx7.org/~dsmith/porsche_924s.htm

By the way I am in Lincoln Ma and my Shop / Garage is in Framingham. We work primarily on race cars (our own) we are not a shop that is open to the public (for profit).

1. Is this just the install of the motor? Bolt up the bell housing to the torque tube and bolt the cross member in place U do the rest? Or do you want me to do the whole thing to get it running again. How organized were you in taking it apart? Did you label all the bolts as they came off and put them in separate bags / box's?

2. Will you be installing the Clutch and the bell housing? I saw that it is not in place. Do you have the spine alignment tool? If not get one it makes installing the motor much easier.

3. How Much $$$$ what happened to your motor. Why did you change it? I am looking for a good core to build a race motor this winter.

4. Do you have a enginhoist?

5. A full size floor jack?

6. If not to 4 & 5 the time factor gets much longer. (I would have to bring mine and that is a bit of a chore).

7. Do you have air? And air tools? Again I would bring small portabe compressor and my air tools if you do not. This may not be possible if I have to bring the hoist.

I am sure there are more things that I ahve forgotten

Respectfully

Dean
Old 10-24-2004, 10:47 PM
EricMcIntire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as availability, I have to find out my work schedule... to answer your quesitons:

1. Is this just the install of the motor? Bolt up the bell housing to the torque tube and bolt the cross member in place U do the rest? Or do you want me to do the whole thing to get it running again. How organized were you in taking it apart? Did you label all the bolts as they came off and put them in separate bags / box's?

I'll take any help I can get, but I have no clue what I'm doing... today myself and janus got the clutch and stuff aligned (by eye, so we don't know if its right) and we changed something on the front that had to be done.. not everything is labeled, but its all near the stuff that it came off of.... not that that is all that helpful but its not all in a bag.

2. Will you be installing the Clutch and the bell housing? I saw that it is not in place. Do you have the spine alignment tool? If not get one it makes installing the motor much easier.

answered in q. 1

3. How Much $$$$ what happened to your motor. Why did you change it? I am looking for a good core to build a race motor this winter.

I bought this car off someone who abandoned it as a project... he said the arm in cyl. 2 cracked.... I was told that the block is in good condition... you'll have to check it out.. as far as $$ how much would you want?

4. Do you have a enginhoist?

I have a homemade hydraulic lift that seems to work fine, it got the old motor out.

5. A full size floor jack?

I've got a car jack... a few actually one really big one.... that may be a floor jack?

6. If not to 4 & 5 the time factor gets much longer. (I would have to bring mine and that is a bit of a chore).

7. Do you have air? And air tools? Again I would bring small portabe compressor and my air tools if you do not. This may not be possible if I have to bring the hoist.

I do have it but its in a different garage.... I have a compressor but I dont have all the tools.. I've been doing everything by hand.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:50 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

Email me off the list we should talk via Phone Email is Dsmith@radio.fm
Old 10-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

BTW I updated the page with the motor in the car pix.

Quick Reply: I will pay someone to help me put my motor in my 944 (MA, NH area)