Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944S - 5th/"cold start" Injector???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004 | 03:43 PM
porsche924
Instructor

when it idles rough, does it missfire? Pull out the plugs and look at them, see what condition they are in, see if they are fouled, burned or whatnot. if you want to test your wire, use a multimeter and check the resistance in the wire, i think it should be about 1000ohm per foot.

basically my suggestions
-test wires with multi meter
-check spark plugs and see their condition(plugs tell a great story about how
the engine is running
-heavier ground wire, doesnt seem important but it can make a difference
-clean grounds in engine bay with sand paper or terminal cleaner on a rag and
use dielectric grease
-clean bettery terminals and terminal clamps
-disconnect battery for about 15 min to reset DME

all of these suggestions are either cheap or free so you might as well, they couldnt hurt
Old 09-30-2004 | 10:05 AM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default Poesche924

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give them a try.

As they say: Watch this space!

Joe
Old 10-02-2004 | 07:09 PM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default Tried some more things...

After checking out Clark's Garage I decided to try a couple of things. I took a look at the spark plugs and, based on the color pictures in my Hayne's manual, they are somewhere between "normal" and the sooty, black powdery deposits. I also looke sat my cap and rotor. I am no expert, but they did have some black powdery stuff on them. Not a lot, but some. I unhooked the battery and put in a new DME. After waiting 15 minutes I hooked up the battery again and tried to start it. It would not start. So, I replaced the the Fuel Pressure regulator. The third time I tried to start it after that it fired up! It was idling perfect and not missing, surging or hunting at all! I gave it a little gas and it did fine. It would go right back to a nice clean idle. So, I took it out of the garage and drove it down the street. When I got to 3,000 RPM in 1st gear it lost power but did not stall. It felt like it was not getting any gas. I turned around and then it died. It would not restart.

So, what would make it start, idle fine, then lose power at 3,000 RPM and then make it die and not restart???

Thanks.

Joe
Old 10-03-2004 | 01:50 AM
porsche924
Instructor

my 924 did that when the fuel pump was on its way out and the fuel filter was clogged to hell.
Old 10-04-2004 | 09:48 AM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default Motronic in Passenger Footwell

I wanted to check out the computer in the passenger footwell. I peeled back the carpet and saw the black piece of wood laying there not screwed/attached to anything. I pulled it out and the computer was laying there dangling by the wires. This did not look right! All other 944's I have seen have a metal "cage" that is screwed to the car/frame and then the computer is attached to that metal frame. My car is missing that entire black frame.

Doesn't the computer need to be grounded electrically to that frame?

Also, there was some electric connector also hanging in there that looked melted. It was not connected to the computer itself (that I could see). I will try to borrow a digital camera and post a picture.

Joe
Old 10-12-2004 | 11:52 PM
MJ & JJ
Intermediate

Default MAF

Have you tried checking the MAF ( Mass Air Flow sensor)?
Old 10-14-2004 | 01:15 PM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default MAF

No, I did not look at the MAF.

I gave up last week and had the car towed to a shop. They were able to determine that the car is getting fuel (pressure OK, filter OK, etc.) but it is not getting spark. They are still chasing that down.

Can't wait to get this bill!

Thanks.

Joe
Old 10-15-2004 | 01:51 PM
George9441985.5
6th Gear

I am having a similiar problem on my 85.5 944 NA. I however have a hill handy to park on so I can always roll start it on chilly mornings. I find it very odd that I can turn the engine over and over to no affect but I can always roll start it without a problem.

Quick Reply: 944S - 5th/"cold start" Injector???