Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

944 Air filter box cover removal?! Its impossible!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 05:09 PM
RSchuh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Air filter box cover removal?! Its impossible!

Hey all,
Has anyone ever replaced their own air filter in a 944? I'm having trouble even removing the cover to the filter box. The plastic has stripped which is preventing me from removing the bolts and there appears to be no easy way to access some of the farther back fastenings. I've had no problems replacing filters on my toyota camry or a friends ford explorer but this one is really getting the best of me. Is this a job that requires going to the dealership, and if so, does anyone know the cost?
Thanks!
Bob
Old 08-19-2004, 05:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

long phillips head scew driver.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:45 PM
jgaylord
Track Day

Originally Posted by RSchuh
The plastic has stripped which is preventing me from removing the bolts and there appears to be no easy way to access some of the farther back fastenings.
I had a similiar issue with some of the back ones buried deep being stripped. Try this. First make sure you have a very long phillips head screwdriver with a good fit on the bit as you may not get many chances if you round the head too much. Take a 6-8 inch strip of duct tape and stick to top of airbox leaving a small hump in the middle to stick another screwdriver through. Now apply constant updward pressure by using the screwdriver under the tape as a handle while you use the other screwdriver to back the screws out. You may need to push down a little on the screwdriver backing the screws out to maintain good contact and go slow and steady.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:00 PM
RSchuh
Track Day

Worked great! Seems like some mice made a nest in my filter box-boy let me tell ya my 944 sure is quicker now!

Quick Reply: 944 Air filter box cover removal?! Its impossible!