Help: The many joys of cr*p fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Indiana
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: The many joys of cr*p fuel

Hi Gents,

Well, I was just about to go on a nice roadtrip with my girlfriend and all of a sudden my 944S started breathing heavily (idling strangely). It felt like it was about to stall (and almost did), and I had to drive home while carefully giving it extra gas (especially in 1st gear) to keep it going. It felt like it had summarily lost about 40% of its power.

This started happening as soon as I filled it up with fuel at ASDA (the UK equivalent of Walmart). Bloody hell. Do you think the fuel could be such bad quality that it's causing the problem, or is it just coincidence? I've never experienced this, and I've used ASDA fuel once before with no issue. Also, I believe the 944S engine has a computer which adjusts the ignition timing etc. to lower octane fuel- not that ASDA fuel should be particularly low octane.

Any ideas about what should I do? Looks like I'll be taking the train today..

Many Thanks,

Indiana Jones
Old 07-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Andriko
Advanced

I'll just run out the fual and fill up with Shell OPTIMAX and see if that makes a difference. If you haven't changed the fual filter recently, try changing that too. Whats the octane rating for ASDA fual?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:04 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

My car stalled a couple times about 5 months ago at red-lights because of bad gas. One morning I think it died 3 times. It got pretty annoying pretty quick. I haven't had problems since then though.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Throw some tolulene in there.

Check Danno's Racer-X web site for more info on this. Very informative.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:42 PM
adie
Pro

Fuel in UK is much better than in US/Canada, I used to get away with unleaded standard (BP) (IMHO Optimax is a waste of money, showed no improvement on the Dyno) however here unless it's the besrt they have the car runs just like your is, try either octane boost or simply fill with superunleaded (96 octane) or both. You may have some debris clogging up your filter but you would smell fumes on the passenger side most likely, check that the petrol acp is venting by taking it off, you may have a vucum in the tank stopping the fuel flow, you will know as soon as you try to remove the cap.

Quick Reply: Help: The many joys of cr*p fuel