Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Brake rotors rub on brake caliper ?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 02:52 PM
jga08
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotors rub on brake caliper ?!!

I'm cleaning my brake before car inspection. Wheels were hard to spin, after a short inspection, I realised that my rotor is rubbing on my brake caliber like if rotors was tiny to big. Anyone had this problem before ?!! This 944 sat for two years under a tempo so it was well protected.......
Old 08-29-2024, 03:21 PM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 286 Likes on 249 Posts

Rubbing on the caliper or on the pads?

If its the pads, the calipers may just need to be compressed (gently prying a screwdriver between rotor and pad to loosen the fit should suffice). The pads could also be rusted to the rotors. If they continue to stick, you will need to rebuild the calipers (cylinders, seals. grease the pins, etc) because the cylinders or the pins are binding, not allowing the caliper to release, likely due to rust.

If its physically rubbing on the caliper, you likely have the wrong rotors installed (turbo or s2 rotors, or M030 rotors, normal 8v NA rotors are all different).

Last edited by walfreyydo; 08-29-2024 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 04:14 PM
jga08
Rennlist Member

Ya possible wrong rotors... The last owner told me that it was probably the pin that were rusted, but it wasn't the case (only little rust sufface )... I'll try to contact him this weekend to know if he drove the car with those rotors on.... wheels spin freely without the caliper in but as soon I attact the caliper the rotor rub on it.....

Mine is a 1986 coupé (no turbo).....

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to know if my rotors are the bad size......
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,659 Likes on 4,232 Posts

Post a photo of where the rubbing is happening. If it's the outer circumference of the rotor inside the center of the caliper, that can only be rotors that are too large for the application = wrong rotors.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
jga08
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Post a photo of where the rubbing is happening. If it's the outer circumference of the rotor inside the center of the caliper, that can only be rotors that are too large for the application = wrong rotors.
Yes, I'll take a Pic this later this afternoon....
Old Today, 01:08 PM
jga08
Rennlist Member

Ok I took a video last evening,, I'll try to post it this afternoon. In fact, when I tight the two caliper botls (19mm), a part of the caliper is still moving, the part with the piston. The highest part of if comes down and rubs on the rotor...

Quick Reply: Brake rotors rub on brake caliper ?!!