Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Complication with rebuilding my 16V engine, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 04:32 PM
Kanify
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Complication with rebuilding my 16V engine, what should I do?

So I'm in the middle of doing a complete engine rebuild for my 88 2.5L 16V, after tearing it down I found basically everything needs being replaced, and the cylinder walls are completely destroyed, along with scratches on the pistons and the coating wearing off in areas. I found a donor 8V motor not too far from me that was pretty cheap, the guy said it came out of an 86 so I assumed it would be a late block, but after getting it home I found it has an early M44.02 engine code. I know there are a few differences between the early and late blocks, so the question is am I able to use the block with my DOHC head, and if I am good to use this block what parts am I not able to reuse from my old engine?
Old 08-18-2024, 05:41 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 289 Posts

The first important difference to consider is the timing belt tensioner. The 4 valve engine uses a wider timing belt than the 2 valve engine and a tensioner pulley (also wider) that is fixed in position to the "automatic" tensioner body. The eccentric tensioner pulley of the early engine design is narrower to fit the 2 valve belt.
When sourcing a block and (used) pistons, pay careful attention to the dimensional tolerance group of each to ensure proper clearance between them.

I happen to have a very good condition, 2.5L, 4 valve short block assembly in my shop that I could part with if you are near the northeast US.
The following users liked this post:
Zirconocene (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

Get Gage's 4V short block. It has the correct pistons, tensioner, cam drive gear on the crank, and the correct engine code. It's what you need.
MM
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelmount123:
931guru (Yesterday), Zirconocene (Yesterday)
Old Today, 01:47 AM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: Complication with rebuilding my 16V engine, what should I do?