Oil pressure relief valve and oil cooler leaks etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 10:14 AM
sachilles
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil pressure relief valve and oil cooler leaks etc

Car is an 84 na 944.
We bought it with a blown head gasket. We just redid the head gasket to get it running.
After running, we've noticed oil on the oil filter side, but not able to pin point the spot.
Google has suggest the oprv could be part of the problem along with the oil cooler.
It appears to be the old style based upon the appearance of the nut visible on the outside.
Hopefully you can help confirm some things for me.

Does the oprv actually leak, or just allow greater pressure forcing oil out of other weak points?
To renew the old style, it's just an o ring and an aluminum crush washer, correct? They just get gummed up and sticky?

I assume oil cooler re seal is sort of a while you are in there fix. Any reason to not service the oprv, run it to check for improvement, then do oil cooler seals as needed(understanding oprv has to come out again, and new crush washer)?
Any other culprits in the area? Power steering was "deleted" by previous owner.
Oil pressure sender is suspect. Most the time the gauge is pegged. Randomly it will flutter momentarily. Oil pressure light has flickered on occasion. Unsure if sender, wiring, or actual pressure is the culprit. Many other gauges appear to have electrical gremlins.
Appears to be some lifter noise as well.
Basically trying to make just one order on parts of possible.
Thanks for the help
Old 08-16-2024, 01:07 PM
sachilles
Track Day

Ugh.
I fear oil pressure related damage.
Fixing an issue with the fan.
Previously sounded like a sticky lifter.
Started to see if we could see a leak while running. Was very loud on start up. Turned off instantly.
I'm familiar with rod knock sounds in a Subaru engine, didn't sound like that.
For the first time the oil pressure gauge didn't move, and light was on.
Electrically, the only change was the passenger side fan was plugged in when it wasn't previously.
So, too many variables.......but my gut says oil pressure isn't in it's happy place.
Old 09-08-2024, 12:00 PM
sachilles
Track Day

Finally got the parts and time to work on the car.

3 piece oprv.
The nut and spring came out fine
Plunger did not come out and is defying attempts to remove it.
I can get my pinky in it and pull it to the edge, but feels like the threads are just enough in the way to prevent it from coming out. Used a magnet and other things as well.

I have all the seals to do the oil cooler. If I pull the oil cooler should I be able remove the plunger?
I'm guessing it's slightly out of alignment. Might that have caused an issue in the first place?
Old 09-09-2024, 10:25 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 255 Posts

My next step would be to loosen/remove the oil cooler, since you are replacing the seals on it as well. Make sure you get an alignment tool and upgraded early OPRV when you reinstall.

If you have any questions or are at all unclear about the upgraded early OPRV (the one shown in Fig A) vs the late OPRV (Fig B) and the process of removal I would recommend reading through this page:
https://944foot2thefloor.blogspot.co...-oprv-oil.html

Last edited by walfreyydo; 09-09-2024 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure relief valve and oil cooler leaks etc