Buying a 944 that’s been sitting not running

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 03:51 AM
track944
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 944 that’s been sitting not running

Hello.

I’ve been a car enthusiast for many years and I’m mechanically inclined.

I currently race an early 90s Celica at an oval track and really enjoy it.

I just came across a 1984 944 for sale for cheap. The car would be a perfect candidate for the class above the one I currently run the Celica in.

The 944 has been sitting for an undisclosed amount of time but ran when it was parked.
if this was a Toyota, Nissan, Honda or even a North American car, I would be scared, but I don’t know anything about European cars at all.

How are these cars to work on?
Are they reliable?
Do they typically develop problems from sitting?
If things need replacing, will parts be hard to find or expensive?
Is the wiring for the drivetrain tied to the chassis wiring? (I know someone that removed the abs breaks on an early 90s BMW and the car wouldn’t run because it all ran through the ecu)

I think this car would be a blast as a race car. But I don’t want to buy a nightmare.

Thoughts?
Old 07-29-2024, 08:30 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 296 Posts

As a mechanically inclined enthusiast you should absolutely get a 944. There will be lots to learn as they are different than most other cars of the era but they are relatively simple and robust.
Parts are available from many sources, including Porsche, but don't expect to find them locally, and they do generally cost more than similar parts from other makes. The DME (engine management) controls only the fuel and ignition. Research Bosch Motronic for an understanding of the system function.
The big jobs on a car that's been sitting will be the fuel system, cooling system and the clutch. Check out clarks-garage for a good understanding of the work ahead.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:08 AM
track944
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Gage.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the project. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a nightmare!

Everything I'm learning about these cars leads me to believe it should be a well balanced, fun car to race. I'll make sure to keep everyone updated!

Quick Reply: Buying a 944 that’s been sitting not running