Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Clutch sqeaks when I let it out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 02:17 AM
Marlon Beckett
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch sqeaks when I let it out.

I re-did my clutch in my ‘87 944 about a year and a half ago. About a month after I did the job, the clutch started to squeak when I would push it in and let it out. It sat for a while, and now I’m driving it again, and it’s really annoying me.

I thought I may have forgotten to lubricate the splines on the torque tube (where the clutch disc rides on). So I pulled everything apart, and generously, but not too generously greased up the torque tube, and it still does it…

I’ve found that it only does it now when the car is running, and when I let the clutch out. Not when I push it in anymore. Also it doesn’t do it all the time, only most of the time. Sometimes if I’m on a hill or uneven road it doesn’t to it. And if I kinda rip on it, it’ll stop for a bit.

So far it hasn’t affected the driving experience, aside from the annoying little squeak when I let off the pedal. So I’m gonna run it.

Please let me know if you have an idea of what’s going on. Thank you
Old 05-02-2024, 09:17 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 213 Posts

Did you replace the bearings in the clutch fork? Did you lubricate the metal pin that goes between the clutch fork and bellhousing? What about the throwout bearing?

If you have done all of the above, have you looked at the clutch pedal mechanism itself (in the footwell). Have you isolated if the sound comes from inside the car or outside the car?

Last edited by walfreyydo; 05-02-2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:08 PM
Marlon Beckett
Track Day

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Did you replace the bearings in the clutch fork? Did you lubricate the metal pin that goes between the clutch fork and bellhousing? What about the throwout bearing?

If you have done all of the above, have you looked at the clutch pedal mechanism itself (in the footwell). Have you isolated if the sound comes from inside the car or outside the car?
I did replace the bearings in the clutch fork, I’m not sure if I lubricated that pin. I also replaced the throw out bearing, was I supposed to lubricate it?

Im pretty sure the noise is coming from outside. Because it gets much louder when I open the door.

I appreciate your input. I’m going to look into lubricating the clutch fork pin, and try and get to where the clutch fork touches the throw out bearing. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2024, 02:28 PM
Marlon Beckett
Track Day

Old 05-02-2024, 03:53 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

You may want to pull the slave cylinder and have a look where the slave contacts the clutch fork, and perhaps add a little bit of grease to that contact points both at the plunger and at the clutch fork (circled in red). Cant say for sure thats your issue. It could also be the master cylinder/clutch connection or the clutch pedal linkage itself. Because the sound is louder outside, my guess is its the slave to fork contact point, or again, the clutch fork itself or throwout bearing

It should be fairly easy to pull the slave (with hydraulic line still connected) and dab a bit of grease on the plunger, reinstall.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 05-02-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:04 PM
Marlon Beckett
Track Day

You may want to pull the slave cylinder and have a look where the slave contacts the clutch fork, and perhaps add a little bit of grease to that contact points both at the plunger and at the clutch fork (circled in red). Cant say for sure thats your issue. It could also be the master cylinder/clutch connection or the clutch pedal linkage itself. Because the sound is louder outside, my guess is its the slave to fork contact point, or again, the clutch fork itself or throwout bearing

It should be fairly easy to pull the slave (with hydraulic line still connected) and dab a bit of grease on the plunger, reinstall.

I think that did it. I put some grease in the little spoon on the end of the fork and it’s not doing it.

Thank you! I’ll report back.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:47 PM
Marlon Beckett
Track Day

Originally Posted by Marlon Beckett
I think that did it. I put some grease in the little spoon on the end of the fork and it’s not doing it.

Thank you! I’ll report back.
it didn’t work, it started doing it again about 7 minutes into the drive.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:39 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Try to get an assistant to push the clutch in and out and see if you can isolate where the sound is coming from while you are outside the car and go from there.

Is it coming from the firewall? Bellhousing area?

I guess that is what I would do. Or just live with it I guess
Old 05-03-2024, 01:38 PM
Marlon Beckett
Track Day

Try to get an assistant to push the clutch in and out and see if you can isolate where the sound is coming from while you are outside the car and go from there.

Is it coming from the firewall? Bellhousing area?

I guess that is what I would do. Or just live with it I guess

So I took the slave back off, and I cleaned it out really nice, and greased it up more neatly. And it hasn’t squeaked. It just doesn’t make sense, why would it only squeak when it is running? But if it works it works.

Quick Reply: Clutch sqeaks when I let it out.