Notices
944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

What brand reference sensors do members recommend??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 05:32 PM
Tfvesquire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brand reference sensors do members recommend??

Ok All. I am chopping down my list of needed parts and things to check before I have my son attempt to start this engine for the very first time.

When I checked the reference sensors it is clear one is newer than the other but not sure how new. The other ssensor has the textbook cracked plug housing and fraying wires to the plug. At the very least I will need one reference sensor.

My experience and gut are telling me to just go ahead and replace both for peace of mind.

Either way I need to know what brands are best to purchase since prices on Ebay and other online sources are all over the grid. I dont think i need Bosch or OEM Porsche for $130 each but i dont want to cheap it out at $60 for a pair.

Please advise #1 whether there is any difference between the speed sensor and a "reference" sensor or are these two identical sensors that alert the computer of two different readings.

And then #2, if its better ti replace them in pairs due to the difficulty in accessing them, what brands are decent. I heard online e to stay a away from URO sensors.

Thanks all!!

Ted
Old 04-16-2024, 06:44 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Tfvesquire
Ok All. I am chopping down my list of needed parts and things to check before I have my son attempt to start this engine for the very first time.

When I checked the reference sensors it is clear one is newer than the other but not sure how new. The other ssensor has the textbook cracked plug housing and fraying wires to the plug. At the very least I will need one reference sensor.

My experience and gut are telling me to just go ahead and replace both for peace of mind.

Either way I need to know what brands are best to purchase since prices on Ebay and other online sources are all over the grid. I dont think i need Bosch or OEM Porsche for $130 each but i dont want to cheap it out at $60 for a pair.

Please advise #1 whether there is any difference between the speed sensor and a "reference" sensor or are these two identical sensors that alert the computer of two different readings.

And then #2, if its better ti replace them in pairs due to the difficulty in accessing them, what brands are decent. I heard online e to stay a away from URO sensors.

Thanks all!!

Ted
The reference sensor and speed sensor are identical parts. Bosch is the only way to go for reliability. You can remove each sensor independently of the other. Go to Clark's Garage website for repair information.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:25 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 241 Posts

Bosch is OE and good. You can save a few bucks by installing the same sensors from a 1984 BMW 538e... same sensor, with the wires just a bit longer.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:41 PM
Tfvesquire
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I ordered one Bosch reference sensor and it should be here in a couple of days.

Per my other main thread I also found the correct MAF for my vehicle and purchased that. Once i install both i will be several steps closer to attempting to start this engine.

I'll keep posting as I go along.

Ted V.

Quick Reply: What brand reference sensors do members recommend??